Washington Women's Right to Vote, Amendment to Article VI Sec. 1 (1910)
|I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII • XIII • XIV • XV • XVI • XVII • XVIII • XIX • XX • XXI • XXII • XXIII • XXIV • XXV • XXVI • XXVII • XXVIII • XXIX • XXX • XXXI • XXXII|
Amendment 5 added the sentence "There shall be no denial of the elective franchise at any election on account of sex" to Section 1 of Article VI, so that the Section in its entirety said:
- "All persons of the age of twenty-one years or over, possessing the following qualifications, shall be entitled to vote at all elections: They shall be citizens of the United States; they shall have lived in the state one year, and in the county ninety days, and in the city, town, ward or precinct thirty days immediately preceding the election at which they offer to vote; they shall be able to read and speak the English language: Provided, That Indians not taxed shall never be allowed the elective franchise: And further provided, That this amendment shall not affect the rights of franchise of any person who is now a qualified elector of this state. The legislative authority shall enact laws defining the manner of ascertaining the qualifications of voters as to their ability to read and speak the English language, and providing for punishment of persons voting or registering in violation of the provision of this section. There shall be no denial of the elective franchise at any election on account of sex."
Section 2 of Article VI, which was repealed in Amendment 5, said, "The legislature may provide that there shall be no denial of the elective franchise at any school election on account of sex." This section, pertaining only to school elections, was removed because it was no longer needed, since the amendment to Section 1 of Article VI said that women could not be denied the vote at any election.
It was the 5th amendment approved to the Washington State Constitution subsequent to its adoption in 1889.
- Washington 1910 ballot measures
- 1910 ballot measures
- List of Washington ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |
|state ballot measure article is a stub. You can help people learn by expanding it.|