West Ottawa School District Bond Measure (May 2011)
This measure was defeated
- YES 1,960 (31.96%)
- NO 4,173 (68.04%)
This measure sought to create a bond in the amount of $26 million in order to help pay for technology upgrades and multiple additions to the district high school. This measure had been approved by the Secretary of State before the school board approved it at their meeting in February. The money from this bond would have been used specifically to add to the athlete facility at the high school and build a new performing arts center. Capital improvements are always an ongoing issue but proponents noted that the school needs to stay updated in order to ensure students have the needed skills to go further.
Those in favor of this bond noted that the most important thing to consider is what this money will do to the communities improvement and the student's education needs. The investment into the future was seen as more important than the short term economic troubles. The addition comes down to around $.30 a day for average residents, a small price in their view for the overall benefit of the school district.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
| Shall West Ottawa Public Schools, Ottawa County, Michigan, borrow the sum of not to exceed Twenty-Five Million Nine Hundred Thirty-Five Thousand Dollars ($25,935,000) and issue its general obligation unlimited tax bonds therefore, for the purpose of:
acquiring and installing educational technology improvements, infrastructure, furnishings and equipment to school facilities; constructing, furnishing and equipping new athletic stadium structures and a performing arts center addition to the high school; and preparing, developing and improving athletic fields and sites?
- Holland Sentinel, "West Ottawa offers biggest ballot issue," April 25, 2011
- Holland Sentinel, "The West Ottawa bond vote: A school board member’s perspective," April 22, 2011
- Ottawa County Elections, May Election Results
- Holland Sentinel, "West Ottawa moves forward with bond issue," January 18, 2011
- Holland Sentinel, "LETTER — Three reasons to vote ‘yes’ in West Ottawa," March 26, 2011
- Holland Sentinel, "PRO AND CON — Vote ‘yes’ on West Ottawa bond," April 24, 2011
- Ottawa County Elections, May Proposal List
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.