Difference between revisions of "West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture"
|Line 129:||Line 129:|
Revision as of 12:19, 23 April 2011
|State executive officials|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Elections
- 4 Vacancies
- 5 Divisions of the Office
- 6 Compensation
- 7 Contact information
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The current officeholder is Gus Douglass (D). He first served from 1964-1988, and has currently served since 1992.
Article VII, Section 1:
|The executive department shall consist of a governor, secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, commissioner of agriculture and attorney general...|
West Virginia elects agricultural commissioners in Presidential election years. For West Virginia, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2020 are all agricultural commissioner election years.
According to state law, the inauguration always takes place on the first Monday after the second Wednesday of January following their election.
West Virginia does not have term limits for the office of agricultural commissioner.
Details of vacancy appointments are addressed under Article VII, Section 17.
If the office of Agricultural Commissioner becomes vacant, it is the duty of the governor to fill the position by appointment. The appointee serves until a new commissioner is elected.
Divisions of the Office
The Department of Agriculture is made up of seven divisions.
Administrative Services Division
- The Administrative Services Division is "esponsible for all day-to-day accounting functions including payroll and benefits processing, travel reimbursement, receivables, procurement, vendor payments and preparation and maintenance of the annual operating budget. Administration and financial management of federal and state grants is also handled by this unit."
Animal Health Division
- The mission of the Animal Health Division is "to prevent, suppress, control, and eradicate any communicable diseases of animals or poultry."
- The Communications Division "coordinates the distribution of agriculturally related information to the general public and provides printing and informational support to all other WVDA divisions and the State Conservation Agency, Forestry Division and West Virginia Agricultural Statistics Service."
Marketing and Development Division
- The Marketing and Development Division "is a multi-disciplinary division within the West Virginia Department of Agriculture which is responsible for the promotion of West Virginia agricultural products and commodities, economic development and the operation of state-owned farms and farmers' markets."
Meat and Poultry Inspection Division
- The Meat and Poultry Inspection Division is responsible for "daily inspection of all commercial slaughterhouses and processing establishments to guarantee that only fully inspected, wholesome and truthfully labeled meat and poultry products are offered for sale."
Plant Industries Division
- The Plant Industries Division "protects the State’s agricultural interests and forest lands from destructive insects, plant diseases, noxious weeds, and other pest organisms through pest detection, survey, identification, and control efforts and by enforcing regulations that have been promulgated to protect our crops and forests (both urban and rural)."
Regulatory and Environmental Affairs Division Division
- The Regulatory and Environmental Affairs Division "acts as a consumer protection / consumer service organization, enforcing laws, rules and regulations to protect the public food supply."
1900 Kanawha Blvd., E.
Charleston, WV 25305
Phone: (304) 558-3200
Fax: (304) 558-2203