West Virginia elections, 2013
West Virginia election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
Voting in West Virginia
- See also: Voting in West Virginia
Important voting information
- West Virginia has a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters and members of minor parties may vote in the Democratic or Republican primaries. The Mountain party typically holds a convention to choose a candidate.
- The deadline for registration is 21 days prior to an election.
- West Virginia passed legislation in 2013 authorizing online voter registration, but a system has not yet been implemented.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in West Virginia, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
West Virginia is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins 13 days before an election and ends three days prior to Election Day. The average number of days prior to an election that voters can cast an early ballot is 21 days in states with a definitive starting date.
Elections Performance Index
West Virginia ranked 44th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. West Virginia received an overall score of 57 percent.
- National Conference of State Legislatures, Electronic(or Online) Voter Registration, accessed May 10, 2013
- Open States, SB477
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Early voting and absentee voting," accessed January 22, 2015
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of West Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Schools | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |