Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, Virginia
Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools is the 27th largest school district in Virginia.
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
This was last evaluated on March 5, 2013.
- Budgets, including revenue information, are available.
- Budgets are archived to 2003.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for school board members is available.
- Contact information for district administration officials is posted. 
- Vendor contract bids and awards information is available
- Employee contracts are posted.
- Annual audits are posted.
- Audits are archived to 2003.
- Public Records
- Academic performance information is available.
- Background Checks
- Information on teacher background check policies is available.
The Williamsburg-James City County School Board is comprised of seven members. Williamsburg City representatives are appointed by the Williamsburg City Council and serve four-year terms at-large. James City County members represent the county election districts.
The current WJCC Superintendent is Dr. Steven Constantino.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
The table below displays the budget for Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools as having a student population of 10,797 and 14 schools in the division.
Williamsburg-James City County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Berkeley Middle||6 - 8||848||No|
|Clara Byrd Baker Elementary||Pre-K - 5||575||Yes|
|D.J. Montague Elementary||Pre-K - 5||614||Yes|
|J. Blaine Blayton Elementary||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|James Blair Middle||6 - 8||643||No|
|James River Elementary||Pre-K - 5||485||Yes|
|Jamestown High||9 – 12||1,232||Yes|
|Lafayette High||9 – 12||1,114||Yes|
|Lois Hornsby Middle||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Matoaka Elementary||Pre-K - 5||688||Yes|
|Matthew Whaley Elementary||K - 5||456||Yes|
|Norge Elementary||Pre-K - 5||691||Yes|
|Rawls Byrd Elementary||Pre-K - 5||582||Yes|
|Stonehouse Elementary||Pre-K - 5||878||Yes|
|Toano Middle||6 - 8||859||No|
|Warhill High||9 – 12||1,132||Yes|
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- Meeting Calendar
- School Board, 2/3/11
- Staff Directory
- Policy Manual
- Teacher pay scales
- Test Results
- Personnel policy
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- Willamsburg-James City County Public Schools, "FISCAL YEAR 2013-14 BUDGET," accessed November 22, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, July 30, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010