Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, Virginia
|Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools|
|Superintendent:||Steven M. Constantino|
|Number of schools:||15|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Ruth Larson|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools
- 7 Academic Performance
- 8 Website evaluation
- 9 Contact information
- 10 External links
- 11 See also
- 12 References
About the districtWilliamsburg, Virginia. It serves both the city of Williamsburg and the county of James City. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Williamsburg is home to 14,068 residents.
In terms of average household income and poverty rate, Williamsburg underperformed in these areas. The average household income was $50,742 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Williamsburg had a poverty rate of 16.1%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%. In terms of graduation rate, Williamsburg overperformed with 93.6% compared to 86.6% statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current superintendent of Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools is Steven M. Constantino, who was appointed to the position in February 2011. He has both his Bachelor's and Master's degrees from the University College of New York at Potsdam and his Certificate of Advanced Study in Educational Administration from the State University of New York at Cortland. He has varied experience in educational administration, and most recently before Williamsburg-James he served as deputy superintendent of Cobb County Schools in Georgia.
The Williamsburg-James City County School Board is comprised of seven members elected by district. They serve four year terms.
|Williamsburg-James City County School Board|
|Ruth Larson||Chair||Berkeley-James City County||2015|
|Jim L. Kelly||Vice Chair||Jamestown-James City County||2017|
|Oscar Prater||Parliamentarian||City of Williamsburg (I)||2014|
|Heather Cordasco||Member||Roberts-James City County||2015|
|Elise Emanuel||Member||City of Williamsburg (II)||2015|
|Joe Fuentes||Member||Powhatan-James City County||2017|
|James P. Nickols||Member||Stonehouse-James City County||2015|
School board elections
Two seats on the Williamsburg-James City County School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. One seat will be up for election in 2014 and four seats will be up in 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in the Williamsburg-James City County Public School District earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. The salary schedule accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2011-2012 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA + 15||38,649||55,974|
|MA + 15||40,208||65,886|
|MA + 30||41,415||69,560|
Schools in Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools
Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools serves 10,630 students, as of 2012-2013 enrollment data. Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools operates 15 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools|
|Clara Byrd Baker Elementary School|
|Berkeley Middle School|
|J. Blaine Blayton Elementary School|
|D.J. Montague Elementary School|
|Hornsby Middle School|
|James River Elementary School|
|Jamestown High School|
|Lafayette High School|
|Matoaka Elementary School|
|Matthew Whaley Elementary School|
|Norge Elementary School|
|Rawls Byrd Elementary School|
|Stonehouse Elementary School|
|Toano Middle School|
|Warhill High School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014. School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science. Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
Williamsburg-James City County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Berkeley Middle||6 - 8||848||No|
|Clara Byrd Baker Elementary||Pre-K - 5||575||Yes|
|D.J. Montague Elementary||Pre-K - 5||614||Yes|
|J. Blaine Blayton Elementary||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|James Blair Middle||6 - 8||643||No|
|James River Elementary||Pre-K - 5||485||Yes|
|Jamestown High||9 – 12||1,232||Yes|
|Lafayette High||9 – 12||1,114||Yes|
|Lois Hornsby Middle||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Matoaka Elementary||Pre-K - 5||688||Yes|
|Matthew Whaley Elementary||K - 5||456||Yes|
|Norge Elementary||Pre-K - 5||691||Yes|
|Rawls Byrd Elementary||Pre-K - 5||582||Yes|
|Stonehouse Elementary||Pre-K - 5||878||Yes|
|Toano Middle||6 - 8||859||No|
|Warhill High||9 – 12||1,132||Yes|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
This was last evaluated on March 5, 2013.
- Budgets, including revenue information, are available.
- Budgets are archived to 2003.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for school board members is available.
- Contact information for district administration officials is posted.
- Vendor contract bids and awards information is available
- Employee contracts are posted.
- Annual audits are posted.
- Audits are archived to 2003.
- Public Records
- Academic performance information is available.
- Background Checks
- Information on teacher background check policies is available.
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- School board elections portal
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Willamsburg-James City County Public Schools, "FISCAL YEAR 2013-14 BUDGET," accessed November 22, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Williamsburg," accessed October 21, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- ACS Events, "Dr. Steven M. Constantino, Superintendent, WJCC School Division," accessed January 27, 2014
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, "School Board," accessed January 27, 2014
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, "Salary Schedule," accessed January 27, 2014
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, "Our Schools," accessed January 27, 2014
- Virginia Department of Education, "School Report Card Accountability Guide," accessed June 14, 2010
- Virginia Department of Education, "Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools," accessed July 30, 2010
- Meeting Calendar
- School Board, 2/3/11
- Staff Directory
- Policy Manual
- Teacher pay scales
- Test Results
- Personnel policy