Wisconsin's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
Cook Political Report: Solid Republican
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Safe R
Heading into the election the incumbent is Sean Duffy (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Wisconsin's 7th Congressional District includes Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, Iron, Price, Oneida, Lincoln, Langlade, Marathon, Portage, Wood, Clark, Taylor, Chippewa, Rusk, Sawyer, Washburn, Barron, Polk and Burnett counties.
Wisconsin's 7th District became more Republican following redistricting after the 2010 census, giving Duffy an edge over Kreitlow. While the district became more Republican, Duffy came under fire in 2011 for comments he made about his personal wealth. He complained that it was difficult to pay bills on his congressional salary, which was $174,000.
The 2012 race brought in a lot of money. Kreitlow raised $1.2 million by mid-October, and Duffy had raised twice that amount. Another $4.3 million was spent by outside groups on attack ads on both sides.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
- Sean Duffy - Incumbent
- Kelly Westlund
- Lawrence Dale
- John Schiess - Write-in candidate
- Rob Taylor - Write-in candidate
August 12, 2014, primary results
Failed to file
|U.S. House, Wisconsin District 7 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Sean Duffy Incumbent||56.1%||201,720|
|Source: Wisconsin Government Accountability Board "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Sean Duffy won election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Julie M. Lassa (D) and Gary Kauther (Independent No War No Bailout). Incumbent Dave Obey did not seek re-election.
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 7, 2010|
|Democratic||Julie M. Lassa||44.5%||113,018|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Wisconsin, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR AUGUST 8, 2014," accessed August 12, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 12, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Wisconsin Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 24, 2012
- RealClearPolitics, "WI 7th District," accessed March 22, 2013
- Talking Points Memo, "So How Rich Is Sean Duffy? Not Very…For A Congressman," accessed March 22, 2013
- Chippewa Herald, "Duffy-Kreitlow House race drawing attention," accessed March 22, 2013
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates Registered by Office," accessed June 3, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Statement of Candidacy," accessed February 24, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Registered Write‐in Candidates for August 12, 2014 Partisan Primary," accessed July 22, 2014
- 'Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Registered Write‐in Candidates for November 2014," accessed September 10, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates Registered by Office," accessed June 13, 2014
- Associated Press, "Wisconsin - Summary Vote Results," accessed August 12, 2014
- Roll Call, "Democratic Official Challenges Sean Duffy in Wisconsin", accessed December 9, 2013
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Wisconsin"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"