Wisconsin's 7th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 12, 2014
Wisconsin has an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Sean Duffy (R), who was first elected in 2010.
Wisconsin's 7th Congressional District includes Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, Iron, Price, Oneida, Lincoln, Langlade, Marathon, Portage, Wood, Clark, Taylor, Chippewa, Rusk, Sawyer, Washburn, Barron, Polk and Burnett counties.
Wisconsin's 7th District became more Republican following redistricting after the 2010 census, giving Duffy an edge over Kreitlow. But while the district became more Republican, Duffy came under fire in 2011 for comments he made about his personal wealth, complaining it was hard to pay bills on his congressional salary, which was $174,000.
The 2012 race brought in a lot of money. Kreitlow raised $1.2 million by mid-October and Duffy had raised twice that. Another $4.3 million was spent by outside groups on attack ads on both sides.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
|U.S. House, Wisconsin District 7 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Sean Duffy Incumbent||56.1%||201,720|
|Source: Wisconsin Government Accountability Board "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
On November 2, 2010, Sean Duffy won election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Julie M. Lassa (D) and Gary Kauther (Independent No War No Bailout). Incumbent Dave Obey did not seek re-election.
|U.S. House of Representatives General Election, Wisconsin, Congressional District 7, 2010|
|Democratic||Julie M. Lassa||44.5%||113,018|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Wisconsin, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Wisconsin Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 24, 2012
- RealClearPolitics "WI 7th District" accessed March 22, 2013
- Talking Points Memo "So How Rich Is Sean Duffy? Not Very…For A Congressman" accessed March 22, 2013
- Chippewa Herald "Duffy-Kreitlow House race drawing attention" accessed March 22, 2013
- Roll Call, "Democratic Official Challenges Sean Duffy in Wisconsin", accessed December 9, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Statement of Candidacy," accessed February 24, 2014
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Wisconsin"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"