Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance
The position was created by the legislature in 1871 to ensure that the insurance industry "responsibly and adequately met the insurance needs of Wisconsin citizens." Presently, the mission of the office is to lead the way in informing and protecting the public and responding to its insurance needs.
The current officeholder is Ted Nickel.
Before his appointment, Nickel was the Director of Governmental and Regulatory Affairs for the Church Mutual Insurance Company. He has served on the board of directors of the Wisconsin Insurance Alliance, Wisconsin Insurance Security Fund, and Oklahoma Property Insurance Guaranty Association, and is a member of the Legal and Government Affairs Committee of the Property Casualty Insurance Association of America.
The main duties included in the office are: 
- Reviewing insurance policies that are sold in the state to make sure they meet the requirements set forth in Wisconsin law
- Conducting examinations of domestic and foreign insurers to ensure compliance with Wisconsin laws and rules
- Monitoring the financial solvency of licensed companies to make sure that consumers have the insurance coverage they expect when they need it
- Issuing licenses to the various parties involved in selling and marketing insurance products
- Assisting insurance consumers with their insurance problems
- Researching special insurance issues to understand and assess their impact on the state
- Providing technical assistance on legislation and promulgating administrative rules to interpret insurance laws
- Creating and distributing public information and consumer education pieces to educate people about insurance
- Operating a state life insurance fund, a property fund for the property owned by local units of government, and a patients compensation fund insuring health care providers for medical malpractice
125 South Webster Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703-3474
Phone: (608) 266-3585 (Madison), (800) 236-8517 (Statewide)
Fax: (608) 266-9935
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m CST
- Wisconsin State Offices "Office of the Commissioner of Insurance" Accessed July 17, 2012
- Wisconsin Government "Office of the Commissioner of Insurance" Accessed July 17, 2012
- NAIC.org, "Ted Nickel biography," accessed September 4, 2011
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 7, 2011