Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
|Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction|
|Website:||Department Home Page|
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction possessed limited powers through its first century of existence. In 1849, the Superintendent of Public Instruction was tasked with school inspections, curriculum recommendations and distribution of revenues from public land sales. Authority over teacher licensing, curriculum development and assessment fell to county superintendents into the early 20th century. The Wisconsin State Legislature authorized the department to license state teachers in 1939. The department gained authority over special education in 1947 and high school graduation requirements in 1983.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction published a statement of agency responsibility in the 2013-2014 Wisconsin Blue Book:
|“||The Department of Public Instruction provides direction and technical assistance for public elementary and secondary education in Wisconsin. The department offers a broad range of programs and professional services to local school administrators and staff. It distributes state school aids and administers federal aids to supplement local tax resources, improves curriculum and school operations, ensures education for children with disabilities, offers professional guidance and counseling, and develops school and public library resources.||”|
- Deputy State Superintendent: Mike Thompson
- Executive Assistant: Jessica Justman
- Special Assistant: Scott Jones
- Chief Legal Counsel: Janet Jenkins
- Director of Education Information Services: John Johnson
- Legislative Liaison: Jennifer Kammerud
The following list details assistant superintendents by department:
- Division of Academic Excellence: Sheila Briggs
- Division of Finance and Management: Brian Pahnke
- Division of Learning Support: Carolyn Stanford Taylor
- Division of Libraries and Technology: Kurt Kiefer
- Division of Student and School Success: Lynette Russell
The following chart outlines the organizational structure of the Wisconsin Department of Education:
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Wisconsin + Department + Public + Instruction"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, "Wisconsin and U.S. Constitutions," Accessed January 14, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Wisconsin Information System for Education," January 14, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "District and School Report Cards Home," Accessed January 14, 2014
- Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, "Wisconsin Blue Book 2013-2014: Executive," Accessed January 14, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.