Wisconsin Legislator Military Duty Amendment, Question 1 (April 1966)
- This amendment modified Article IV, Section 13 of the Wisconsin Constitution to allow legislators to retain office while on short-term active duty in the reserves or during an emergency declared by the Governor.
Official results via: The Wisconsin Blue Book 1968
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
"Shall section 13 of article IV of the constitution be amended to permit a legislator to remain a member of the legislature even though called for short periods of active duty as a member of the reserves, or while serving in the armed forces during any emergency declared by the executive?"
(Article IV) Section 13. No person being a member of congress, or holding any military or civil office under the United States, shall be eligible to a seat in the legislature; and if any person shall, after his election as a member of the legislature, be elected to congress, or be appointed to any office, civil or military, under the government of the United States, his acceptance thereof shall vacate his seat. This restriction shall not prohibit a legislator from accepting short periods of active duty as a member of the reserve or from serving in the armed forces during any emergency declared by the executive.
Path to the ballot
- First Legislative Approval: SJR 24 & JR 34 (1963)
- Second Legislative Approval: SJR 15 & JR 14 (1965)
- The Wisconsin Blue Book 1968
- "Sample Ballot for Judicial and Municipal Spring Election - Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, April 5,1966" Capital Times, April 4, 1966
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |
Wisconsin Supreme Court | Courts of Appeal | Circuit Courts | Municipal Courts | Wisconsin Commission Appointed Judicial Method Proposal | Wisconsin Judicial Commission | Wisconsin Supreme Court elections | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |