Wisconsin Public Debt Amendment, Question 2 (April 1969)
- This amendment modified Article VIII, Section 7 of the Wisconsin Constitution to allow the state to contract public debt under certain conditions.
Official results via: The Wisconsin Blue Book 1970
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
"Shall section 7 of article VIII of the constitution be amended to permit the state to contract public debt, limited in amount, in order to acquire. construct. develop, extend, enlarge or improve land, waters, property, highways, buildings, equipment or facilities for public purposes, and eliminate reliance on the present method of financing such expenditures through leases with dummy building corporations? (Note: Adoption of this amendment would end the practice of borrowing through 'dummy' building corporations which, as of 12/1/67, bad an outstanding indebtedness of $382,511,869. Beginning 1/1/71 borrowing through state public building corporations would be unconstitutional, and all bonds issued for the state building program would be backed by the full faith and credit of the state.)"
(Article VIII) Section 7.
Note: The above text is only the portion of the amendment added.
Path to the ballot
- First Legislative Approval: AJR 1 & JR 58 (1967)
- Second Legislative Approval: AJR 1 & JR 3 (1969)
- The Wisconsin Blue Book 1970
- "Facsimile Ballot Notice Of Presidential Preference, Judicial, State Supervisor of Schools and Referendum Election April 1,1969" Wisconsin State Journal, March 31, 1969
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |