Difference between revisions of "Wisconsin Secretary of Natural Resources"
(→Authority: added qualifications)
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
Revision as of 13:03, 25 July 2012
The current officeholder is Cathy Stepp.
Stepp was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Stepp and her husband own a construction business. In 2002, Stepp successfully challenged Democratic State Senator Kim Plache for Plache's State Senate seat. From 2003 until 2007, Stepp served in the Wisconsin State Senate, representing the 21st District. Stepp chose not to run for re-election in 2006.
The creation of the Department Natural Resources is designated in Wisconsin Statutes.
There is created a department of natural resources under the direction and supervision of the natural resources board. The natural resources board shall consist of 7 members appointed for staggered 6-year terms. At least 3 members of the natural resources board shall be from the territory north, and at least 3 members of the board shall be from the territory south, of a line running east and west through the south limits of the city of Stevens Point. At least one member of the natural resources board shall have an agricultural background. The governor may request statewide agricultural organizations to submit recommendations for nominees under this paragraph. The requirements of this paragraph apply to individuals who are members of the natural resources board on May 1, 2017, and thereafter.
Qualifications of members of natural resources board are detailed within the Wisconsin State Statutes, Chapter 15.34 (2)br1:
- At least 3 members of the natural resources board shall be individuals who held an annual hunting, fishing, or trapping license, in this state or another state, in at least 7 of the 10 years previous to the year in which the individual is nominated, except as provided in subd. 2. The governor may request statewide organizations that are primarily interested in supporting hunting, fishing, or trapping to submit recommendations for nominees under this paragraph. The requirements of this paragraph apply to individuals who are members of the natural resources board on May 1, 2017, and thereafter.
- If an individual served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces or national guard during the 10 years previous to the year in which the individual is nominated, the number of years in which the individual is required to have held an annual hunting, fishing, or trapping license equals 7 minus the number of years of active duty served during those 10 years.
- No person may be appointed to the natural resources board, or remain a member of the board, who receives, or has during the previous 2 years received, a significant portion of his or her income directly or indirectly from holders of or applicants for permits issued by the department under ch. 283, except that this paragraph does not apply to permits issued under s. 283.33.
- The majority of members of the natural resources board may not derive a significant portion of their incomes from persons who are subject to permits or enforcement orders under ch. 285. Each board member shall inform the governor of any significant change in the income that he or she derives from persons who are subject to permits or enforcement orders under ch. 285.
The Natural Resources Board members are appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the Wisconsin Senate. Three members each must be selected from the northern and southern portions of the state and one member serves at large. Terms expire on May 1. The guidelines are set forth in Chapter 15 of the Wisconsin State Statutes.
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is dedicated to working with the citizens and businesses of Wisconsin while preserving and enhancing the natural resources of Wisconsin. In partnership with individuals and organizations, DNR staff manage fish, wildlife, forests, parks, air and water resources while promoting a healthy, sustainable environment and a full range of outdoor opportunities.
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is divided into six main divisions:
101 S. Webster Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
Phone: (608) 266-2621
Fax: (608) 261-4380
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
- Wisconsin Secretary of Natural Resources
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Facebook Page
- Cathy Stepp
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Facebook Page "Info" Accessed July 20, 2012
- Wisconsin Historical Society "Stepp, Cathy" Accessed July 19, 2012
- DNR "Overview" Accessed July 24, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- WI DNR "About" Accessed July 20, 2012
- DNR "About" Accessed July 24, 2012
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 7, 2011