Wisconsin Secretary of State
|Wisconsin Secretary of State|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$513,600|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Wisconsin State Code, Chapter 14.36|
|Name:||Douglas La Follette|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Wisconsin Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The secretary of state's office is authorized by Chapter 14.36 of the Wisconsin state code.
|Office of secretary of state; creation. There is created an office of the secretary of state under the direction and supervision of the secretary of state.|
While the Wisconsin Constitution does not specify the qualification for the Office of Secretary of State, the secretary is second in line of succession to the governorship. Under Article 5 of the state constitution, the governor must be a United States citizen and qualified elector in Wisconsin.
According to Article 6 of the state constitution, the secretary of state is elected every four years, in mid-term election years, to a four-year term. In Wisconsin, the secretary of state is elected in 2010, 2014, and 2018.
Chapter 17.19(4) of the Wisconsin state code addresses vacancies in the office of secretary of state. In the event of a vacancy for any reason, the governor shall appoint a successor to serve until a special election can be held. If no such election is held, the appointee holds office for the remainder of the unexpired term. 
The specific duties of the attorney general are outlined in Chapter 14.38 of the Wisconsin state code.
Chapter 14.38 - Duties. The secretary of state shall:
- Record executive acts.
- Affix great seal; register commissions.
- Have custody of books, records, etc.
- Biennial report.
- Keep enrolled laws, etc.
- Compile original laws and resolutions.
- Record fees.
- Furnish certified copies; fees.
- Notices of proposed constitutional amendments and enactments.
There are two divisions within the office of the secretary:
- Government Records Division
- Administrative Services Division
The budget for the Secretary of State's Office in Fiscal Year 2013 was $513,600.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Wisconsin Secretary of State
30 W. Mifflin, 10th Floor
Madison, WI 53703
P.O. Box 7848
Madison, WI 53707-7848
Phone: (608) 266-8888 (ext 2)
Fax: (608) 266-3159
- Douglas La Follette, Wisconsin Secretary of State
- Governor of Wisconsin
- Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin
- Attorney General of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Constitution
- Wisconsin state code "Chapter 14: Constitutional Offices and Interstate Bodies (page 6)," accessed August 25, 2011
- Wisconsin state code, "Chapter 17: Resignations, vacancies, and removals from office (page 7)," accessed August 25, 2011
- Wisconsin state code, "Chapter 14: Constitutional Offices and Interstate Bodies (page 6)," accessed August 25, 2011
- Wisconsin Department of Administration, "2013-15 Executive Budget - Office of the Secretary of State," accessed April 3, 2013