Wisconsin Secretary of Workforce Development
Prior to his position at the Department of Workforce Development, Newson served as Executive Assistant at the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT), one of the DOT top three leadership positions and a position he held since January 2011. He previously was operations director for DOT’s Southeast Region, managing a $320 million budget and directing 500 employees since 2005. From 2003 to 2005, Newson managed the state Disadvantaged Enterprise Program. Newson has an MBA with an emphasis in corporate communications from Concordia University of Wisconsin, an undergraduate degree and master’s degree in political science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, as well as certificates in project management, management and six-sigma from the UW-Milwaukee. He also has an associate’s degree in commercial real estate (ACRE) from Marquette University.
The creation of the Department of Workforce Development is designated in Wisconsin Statutes.
There is created a department of workforce development under the direction and supervision of the secretary of workforce development.
The Department of Workforce Development's primary responsibilities include providing job services, training and employment assistance to people looking for work, at the same time as it works with employers on finding the necessary workers to fill current job openings.
As the Secretary of Workforce Development, Newson directs the state workforce agency that has an annual budget of over $450 million, over 1,600 employees and six divisions. Located within the Office of the Secretary are chief legal counsel, communications staff, and economic advisors.
The Department of Workforce Development is divided into six main divisions:
- Office of the Secretary
- Administrative Services
- Employment and Training
- Equal Rights
- Unemployment Insurance
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Workers Compensation
201 E. Washington Avenue
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
Phone: (608) 266-3131
Fax: (608) 266-1784
P.O. Box 7946
Madison, Wisconsin 53707-7946
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
- Secretary Newson's Biography
- Labor and Industry Review Commission
- Department of Workforce Development "About DWD" Accessed July 20, 2012
- Department of Workforce Development "Biography" Accessed July 20, 2012
- Wisconsin Statutes, "Chapter 15: Structure of the Executive Branch -- Subchapter I: General Provisions, Section 15.05: Secretaries," accessed July 23, 2012
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development "Divisions" Accessed July 20, 2012
- The Council of State Governments,"The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," retrieved June 7, 2011