Wisconsin State Assembly District 23
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 23|
|Current incumbent||Jim Ott|
|Voting age||75.6% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 55,249 civilians reside within Wisconsin's twenty-third state assembly district. Members of the Wisconsin State Assembly represent an average of 57,444 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 54,179 residents.
About the office
Section 6 of Article 4 of the Wisconsin Constitution states, "No person shall be eligible to the legislature who shall not have resided one year within the state, and be a qualified elector in the district which he may be chosen to represent."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Wisconsin Legislature are paid $49,943/year. Legislators receive a maximum of $88/day per diem, set by the compensation commission. Based on the maximum, the leadership of each house determines what amount to authorize for each session.
In the event of a vacancy in the assembly, the Governor must call for a special election when allowed by law. Special elections to fill legislative vacancies cannot be held after February 1st preceding a spring election or September 1st preceding a fall election. If the vacancy happens before May 15th, the Governor must fill the vacancy as soon as possible.
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Wisconsin State Assembly consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. Republican incumbent Jim Ott defeated Democrat Cris Rogers in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the primary elections.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 23, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jim Ott Incumbent||62.2%||22,536|
Since 2000, candidates for Wisconsin State Assembly District 23 have raised a total of $459,694. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $30,646 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Wisconsin State Assembly District 23|
- Public Mapping Project, Wisconsin 2010 Census Selected Statistics, accessed November 23, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17.19 (1), Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50, Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50(4)-(d), Wisconsin Statutes)
- State of Wisconsin, G.A.B. Canvass Reporting System, accessed November 23, 2013
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, Official 2012 primary results, accessed November 23, 2013
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |