Wyoming Superintendent of Public Instruction
Wyoming State Executives
| Governor • Lieutenant Governor |
Secretary of State • Attorney General
Auditors: Auditor • Director
Superintendent of Education
Public Service Commission
The current officeholder is Cindy Hill. She was first elected in 2010.
Article 4, Section 11:
|There shall be chosen by the qualified electors of the state at the times and places of choosing members of the legislature, a secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, and superintendent of public instruction...|
|There shall be chosen by the qualified electors of the state at the times and places of choosing members of the legislature, a secretary of state, auditor, treasurer, and superintendent of public instruction, who shall have attained the age of twenty-five (25) years respectively, shall be citizens of the United States, and shall have the qualifications of state electors...|
- at least twenty-five (25) years of age
- a citizen of the United States
- qualified as an elector in the state of Wyoming
The office of superintendent of public instruction is elected every four years, in mid-term election years. In Wyoming, superintendent of public instruction elections are held in 2010, 2014, and 2016.
Move to make the office appointed
In mid February 2012, state Rep. Steve Harshman (R) introduced House Joint Resolution 11, which would alter the Wyoming Constitution to make the office of Superintendent a gubernatorial appointment. If approved by the legislature, it would then need to be approved by voters in a statewide referendum.
Harshman said the duties of the office have greatly changed since the position was created in 1890. “Really, that role I’ve seen has been transformed into a real administrator-type role, not a political-type office. I wouldn’t elect my doctor, you know what I mean? If I’ve got trouble, I’m going to go out and try to find the very best, most qualified doctor I can get to serve me," he explained.
Article 4, Section 7 of the state constitution grants the governor the authority to fill any office that becomes vacant, so long as there is not already a constitutional or legal method for filling the vacancy.
The specific duties of the superintendent are outlined in Title 21, Chapter 2, Article 2 of the Wyoming state code:
- Make rules and regulations, consistent with this code, as may be necessary or desirable for the proper and effective administration of the state educational system and the statewide education accountability system pursuant to W.S. 21-2-204;
- Consult with and advise the state board, local school boards, local school administrators, teachers and interested citizens, and seek in every way to develop public support for a complete and uniform system of education for the citizens of this state;
- Maintain adequate files and records of matters pertaining to the business of his office;
- Enforce the provisions of this code and the administrative rules and regulations provided for in this code, in accordance with procedures provided by law;
- Assist the state board in the performance of its duties and responsibilities, including providing information to the board upon request;
- Prepare and maintain a list of accredited schools in Wyoming;
- Print and distribute to local boards of trustees, local school administrators and other persons and agencies within or without the state the school laws, regulations, forms, necessary reports of the state board, state committee, state superintendent and state department.ï¿½ The state superintendent may require the payment of reasonable costs of publication, handling and postage by persons or agencies outside the state requesting publications and shall deposit all payments into the general fund;
In addition to these other duties, the superintendent is a member of the following boards:
- Montgomery Trust Fund for the Visually Impaired Board
- Wyoming Early Childhood Council
- Wyoming Workforce Development Council
- Wyoming Higher Education Assistance Authority
Wyoming Department of Education
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building, 2nd floor
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050