Wythe County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The Wythe County Public Schools 2009-2010 revenue and expenditures budgets are available.
- School Board meeting schedule is posted.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education School Report Card. A Student Assessment Report is also posted on the division website, as well as Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) information.
- Section K: School Community Relations of the Wythe County School Board Policy Manual includes Requests for Information procedures in compliance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes information regarding hiring and evaluation procedures.
- The school board’s financial information is included in Wythe County’s 2009 Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Complete administrative contact information is not available; a general school address and phone number is provided and the Superintendent’s email address is posted.
- School Board contact information is not available for individual board members; a general office address and phone number is provided.
- Meeting agendas and minutes are not posted.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
The Wythe County School Board is comprised of seven members, six representing the county districts and one at-large. The school board functions on behalf of the county to provide a safe and quality education for all students.
Current School Board Members
|Chalmer L. Frye, Chairman||Speedwell, District 6|
|William S. Kidd, Vice-Chairman||East Wytheville, District 3|
|Patricia S. Hines||Lead Mines, District 5|
|Walter C. White||Fort Chiswell, District 4|
|Deborah M. Crigger||At Large|
|Alan C. Wilder||West Wytheville, District 2|
|Stephen R. Sage||Blacklick, District 1|
The current division superintendent is Dr. W. Lee Brannon.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Wythe County Public Schools 2009-2010 expenditures budget totaled $53,645,376.00. The budget included $7,129,368.00 in federal revenue, $20,947,462.00 in state revenue, $19,072,723.00 in county appropriation funds, $667,300.00 in other local funds, $3,806,833.00in sales tax funds, $862,440.00 in cafeteria collections, and $1,159,250.00 in other revenue. The required local match totaled $7,643,154.00.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Wythe County Public Schools as having a student population of 4,336 and 12 schools in the division.
Wythe County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Fort Chiswell High||9 - 12||501||Yes|
|Fort Chiswell Middle||6 - 8||337||No|
|George Wythe High||9 - 12||474||Yes|
|Jackson Memorial Elementary||Pre-K - 5||246||No|
|Max Meadows Elementary||Pre-K - 5||283||Yes|
|Rural Retreat Elementary||Pre-K - 5||390||Yes|
|Rural Retreat High||9 - 12||361||No|
|Rural Retreat Middle||6 - 8||238||No|
|Scott Memorial Middle||6 - 8||331||No|
|Sheffey Elementary||Pre-K - 5||297||Yes|
|Speedwell Elementary||Pre-K - 5||162||Yes|
|Spiller Elementary||Pre-K - 5||716||No|
- Wythe County Public Schools Official Website
- Wythe County Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, Budget, August 2, 2010
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, School Board, August 2, 2010
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, Virginia School Report Card, August 2, 2010
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, Assessment, August 2, 2010
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, VBSA Table of Contents, August 2, 2010
- ‘Wythe County’, Annual Financial Report, August 2, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Wythe County Public Schools’, Superintendent, August 2, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Wythe County Public Schools, August 2, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010