York County School Division, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The York County Public Schools approved 2010-2011 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. Archived budget information and per pupil expenditure reports are also posted.
- School Board meeting schedule, minutes and agendas are posted.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education School Report Card. Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) and Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) information is also posted.
- Chapter 11: Communications of the York County School Division Policy Manual includes information regarding Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act requests and Chapter 4: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements.
- Teacher salary scale and benefits information is posted.
- The school board’s financial information is included in York County’s 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Current teacher and vendor contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Mark A. Medford, Chairman||District 3||November 2011|
|Robert W. George D.D.S., Vice Chairman||District 5||November 2011|
|Barbara S. Haywood||District 1||November 2011|
|Linda Meadows||District 2||November 2011|
|R. Page Minter||District 4||November 2011|
The current division superintendent is Eric Williams, Ed.D.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The York County Public Schools approved 2010-2011 operating budget totals $115,027,267, and 9.6% decrease from the previous year. 72.2% of the budget is dedicated to instruction costs. The budget includes $13,853,918 in federal revenue (12.0% of the total revenue sources), $54,522,352 in state revenue (47.4%), $45,336,097 in county funds (39.4%), and $1,314,900 in miscellaneous funds (1.2%). Proposed per pupil expenditures for 2010-2011 total $9,518; 2009-2010 per pupil expenditures totaled $10,363.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports York County Public Schools as having a student population of 12,729 and 19 schools in the division.
York County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Bethel Manor Elementary||Pre-K – 5||542||Yes|
|Bruton High||9 – 12, PG||673||Yes|
|Coventry Elementary||Pre-K – 5||626||Yes|
|Dare Elementary||Pre-K - 5||455||Yes|
|Grafton Bethel Elementary||Pre-K - 5||618||Yes|
|Grafton High||9 – 12, PG||1,289||Yes|
|Grafton Middle||6 - 8||875||No|
|Magruder Elementary||Pre-K - 5||621||Yes|
|Mount Vernon Elementary||Pre-K - 5||556||Yes|
|Queens Lake Middle||6 - 8||489||No|
|Seaford Elementary||Pre-K - 5||523||Yes|
|Tabb Elementary||Pre-K - 5||554||Yes|
|Tabb High||9 – 12, PG||1,255||Yes|
|Tabb Middle||6 - 8||830||No|
|Waller Mill Elementary||Pre-K - 5||322||Yes|
|York High||9 – 12, PG||1,089||Yes|
|York River Academy||9 – 12||58||Yes|
|Yorktown Elementary||Pre-K - 5||601||Yes|
|Yorktown Middle||6 - 8||753||No|
- York County Public Schools Official Website
- York County Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘York County Public Schools’, Budget, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, 2009-2010 School Board Meetings, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, Administrative Directory, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, School Board Members, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, State School Report Cards, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, Policy Manual, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County Public Schools’, Employment, August 2, 2010
- ‘York County’, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, August 2, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, York County Public Schools, August 2 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010