|Bachelor's||University of Oklahoma|
|J.D.||University of Houston Law Center|
|Profession||Attorney, radio talk show host|
- See also: Los Angeles mayoral election, 2013
|Mayor of Los Angeles, Primary, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Addie M. Miller||0.5%||1,810|
|Nonpartisan||Yehuda "Yj" Draiman||0.4%||1,543|
|Source: Los Angeles City Clerk (dead link)|
At a campaign forum held in Koreatown on November 14, James spoke in favor of a City of Los Angeles Pension Reform Initiative, which may be on the May 21, 2013 ballot. The pension reform measure is sponsored by former mayor Richard Riordan. Garcetti, Greuel and Perry oppose the Riordan plan.
At a forum for mayoral candidates on August 16, sponsored by Ya Basta and the East Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, James said, "My opponents don’t have the guts to take the issue to court, like it happened in San Diego and San Jose. I can guarantee you, there isn’t a judge in California who will say we have to pay our pensions before police and fire employees [salaries] in the City of Los Angeles."
Partnership for Los Angeles Schools:
The Partnership for Los Angeles School is a non-profit organization created by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa for the purpose of solving problems at the city's worst performing schools by putting them under alternative management. At an August 2012 mayoral forum, James registered his support for the program.
Gang Reduction Youth Development program
The Gang Reduction Youth Development program was developed to provide gang intervention and prevention services. James supports the program.
Through September 30, 2012, James had raised $275,090 for his campaign.
Fred Davis, a Republican media strategist, announced in mid-November that he has formed a SuperPAC (the "Better Way LA Committee") with the goal of raising and spending a minimum of $4 million on behalf of the candidacy of James.
Davis said that his SuperPAC will argue that James is the only mayoral candidate who is not responsible for the state of financial crisis that exists in the city: "[James is] the only one of the four who wasn't part of the problem," according to Davis.
This chart shows fundraising totals for the mayoral election's "Big 5" candidates through February 27, 2013:
|Candidate||Contributions rec'd||Expenses||Cash on hand||Matching funds|
- Daily Breeze, "Filing period opens for March elections in South Bay, Los Angeles," November 11, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "GOP strategist launches super PAC in L.A. mayor's race," November 17, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "Riordan agrees to debates over city retirement benefits plan," November 15, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "L.A. mayoral candidates debate Riordan pension overhaul plan," November 15, 2012
- Eastern Group News, "Candidates Address Eastside Residents in Mayoral Forum," August 17, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "Eric Garcetti edges Wendy Greuel in L.A. mayoral race fundraising," October 11, 2012