State budget websites and analysis
- 1 Alabama
- 2 Alaska
- 3 Arizona
- 4 Arkansas
- 5 California
- 6 Colorado
- 7 Connecticut
- 8 Delaware
- 9 District of Columbia
- 10 Florida
- 11 Georgia
- 12 Hawaii
- 13 Idaho
- 14 Illinois
- 15 Indiana
- 16 Iowa
- 17 Kansas
- 18 Kentucky
- 19 Louisiana
- 20 Maine
- 21 Maryland
- 22 Massachusetts
- 23 Michigan
- 24 Minnesota
- 25 Mississippi
- 26 Montana
- 27 Nebraska
- 28 Nevada
- 29 New Hampshire
- 30 New Jersey
- 31 New Mexico
- 32 New York
- 33 North Carolina
- 34 North Dakota
- 35 Ohio
- 36 Oklahoma
- 37 Oregon
- 38 Pennsylvania
- 39 Rhode Island
- 40 South Carolina
- 41 South Dakota
- 42 Tennessee
- 43 Texas
- 44 Utah
- 45 Vermont
- 46 Virginia
- 47 Washington
- 48 West Virginia
- 49 Wisconsin
- 50 Wyoming
State budget websites and analyses are needed for today's citizens to evaluate the efficacy of state and local government activity. This page will include links to state budget websites. Perhaps more importantly during this time of wide-spread budget deficits, it will include links to analyses of those budgets, thus providing citizens with means to assess how government officials and legislators have allocated taxpayer dollars.
- FY 2012 Budget Factbook from the Legislative Fiscal Office
- FY 2012 Budget Factbook from the Legislative Fiscal Office
- Historical Analysis Reports from the Legislative Finance Division
- Arizona Joint Legislative Budget Committee (Fiscal Policy Analysis for the Arizona Legislature)
- Governor's Office of State Planning and Budgeting
- FY2013 Budget documents
- FY 2013 Budget Request Fact Sheets (by Agency)
- Colorado General Assembly Joint Budget Committee
- Governor's Office of Policy and Management, Budget and Financial Management Division
- FY 2012-2013 Biennial Budget
- State Plan for Converting to GAAP-based Budgeting
District of Columbia
Idaho Legislature's Joint Finance-Appropriations Committee is the Legislature's budget committee. Its staff complies budget publications and analysis.
Idaho governor's Division of Financial Management produces budget documents for the state's executive branch.
- The Governor's Office of Management and Budget prepares the Governor's annual state budget and advises the Governor on the availability of revenues and the allocation of those resources to agency programs.
- Illinois State Budget Book Fiscal Year 2009
- The Illinois State Comptroller provides a number of fiscal reports, including appropriations, bond indebtedness, annual reports, executive summaries, fee impositions, fiscal state of the state, and tax expenditure reports.
2008/09 Budget information is offered by the Bureau of the Budget, Department of Administrative & Financial Services.
- Maryland's Department of Budget and Management (dead link)
- Maryland's Department of Legislative Services (dead link)
- Maryland Fiscal Briefings, Reports, and Analyses
- 90 Day Report of the 2008 Legislative Session, including budget information
Michigan's Office of the State Budget has information on the development of the Executive Budget recommendation, presentation of the budget to the Legislature, and implementation of the budget after enactment.
Minnesota's Accountability Website - http://www.accountability.state.mn.us/
The New Mexico Department of Finance and Administration has made the fiscal year 2009 state budget available here (dead link).
The Rio Grande Foundation offers analysis of government spending in New Mexico.
Analysis of North Dakota's 2009-2011 Executive Budget is available here.
Budget information for Oklahoma is available here.
The Pennsylvania Office of the Budget has the 2008-09 revised budget with the cuts proposed by Governor Rendell, along with several documentson Governor Rendell's proposed 2009-10 budget. The PA House GOP has a smaller PDF of the proposed budget.
For comprehensive look at Pennsylvania state spending (which includes "special funds" and federal funds spent by the state), see the Governor's Executive Budget.
Each of the four legislative caucuses has a budget page with spreadsheets and analysis:
- Pennsylvania House Democratic Appropriations Committee
- Pennsylvania House Republican Appropriations Committee
- Pennsylvania Senate Republicans
- Pennsylvania Senate Democrats
The Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center also offers analysis of Pennsylvania government spending.
South Carolina Office of Research and Statistics https://web.archive.org/web/2/http://ors.sc.gov/
South Carolina Budget and Control Board http://www.bcb.sc.gov/BCB/BCB-index.phtm
Governor's Budget - Current and archives http://www.state.tn.us/finance/bud/budget.html
TN Office of Legislative Budget Analysis Info Page http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/joint/Staff/Lba/lba.htm
TN Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports http://www.state.tn.us/finance/act/cafr.html
Joint Legislative Fiscal Review Committee Info Page http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/joint/staff/fr/fr.htm
Monthly Revenue Reports from TN Dept of Revenue http://www.state.tn.us/revenue/statistics/
Bond Investor Updates from TN Comptroller http://www.comptroller.tn.gov/sl/investorupdates.asp
Budget 101 from the Senate Research Center: http://www.senate.state.tx.us/SRC/pdf/Budget101_2007-web.pdf
State Agency Legislative Appropriations Requests 2012-2013: http://www.lbb.state.tx.us/External_Links/LAR_82R/Agency_LAR_Listing_82R.htm (dead link)
Biennial Revenue Estimate: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxbud/bre2008/BRE_2008-09.pdf
TX Comprehensive Annual Financial Report: https://fmx.cpa.state.tx.us/fm/pubs/cafr/07/pdf/07_cafr_full.pdf (timed out)
Fiscal Size-Up from the Legislative Budget Board: http://www.lbb.state.tx.us/Fiscal_Size-up/Fiscal%20Size-up%202008-09.pdf (dead link)
Where the Money Goes from the Texas Comptroller: http://www.window.state.tx.us/comptrol/expendlist/cashdrill.php
Texas Transparency Check-Up: http://www.window.state.tx.us/comptrol/checkup/
The Virginia budget is tracked as it moves through the legislative session by the General Assembly's Legislative Information System. Information on the budget's implementation is available from the Department of Planning & Budget.
Under the state's current budgeting process, secretariats and agencies must report on their performance and goals for each budgeted service area. These data can be found at Virginia Performs.
A recent Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission (JLARC) study identified procedures and methods for improving the budget oversight process and increasing budget transparency.