Eau Claire Area School District, Wisconsin
|Eau Claire Area School District|
|Eau Claire, Wisconsin|
|Superintendent:||Mary Ann Hardebeck|
|Number of schools:||19|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Carol Craig|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Eau Claire Area School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtEau Claire County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Eau Claire is home to 66,966 residents. Eau Claire Area School District is the eighth-largest school district in Wisconsin, serving 10,914 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Eau Claire outperformed the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 33.8% of Eau Claire residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.4% for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Eau Claire was $43,410 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Eau Claire was 19.3% compared to 12.5% for the entire state.
The superintendent of Eau Claire Area School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Mary Ann Hardebeck. She has served in the position since her appointment in 2012. Hardebeck previously served as assistant superintendent of personnel services at Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia.
The Eau Claire Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. Members receive a salary of $2,000 with a $2,500 salary for the board president.
|Eau Claire Board of Education|
|Member||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
|Wendy Sue Johnson||2009||2015|
|Kathryn P. Duax||2009||2015|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats were up for election in April 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in April 2015 and three seats will be up for election in April 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Education maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2008:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|“|| The Board desires to hear the viewpoints of citizens on district or school-wide concerns. An opportunity will be provided for the public to speak at regular meetings in accordance with these established procedures. Identified work sessions or standing and/or ad hoc committees may be exempted from the public's opportunity to speak subject to a Board motion.
The table below displays the budget for Eau Claire Area School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Eau Claire Area School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in Eau Claire Area School District are represented by the Eau Claire Association of Educators (ECAE). The president of the ECAE during the 2013-2014 school year was Andy Fisher.
Schools in Eau Claire Area School District
The district served 11,045 K-12 students during the 2013-2014 school year. The district experienced a 2.1% increase in enrollment between 2009 and 2013. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2009 and 2013:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Eau Claire Area School District operates 19 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Eau Claire Area School District|
|DeLong Middle School|
|Flynn Elementary School|
|Lakeshore Elementary School|
|Locust Lane Elementary School|
|Longfellow Elementary School|
|Manz Elementary School|
|McKinley Charter School|
|Meadowview Elementary School|
|Memorial High School|
|Montessori Charter School|
|North High School|
|Northstar Middle School|
|Northwoods Elementary School|
|Putnam Heights Elementary School|
|Robbins Elementary School|
|Roosevelt Elementary School|
|Sam Davey Elementary School|
|Sherman Elementary School|
|South Middle School|
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction administers annual Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) tests to students throughout the state. These tests assess proficiency in math and reading among students in grades three through eight as well as tenth grade. WSAS tests also evaluate proficiency in language arts, science and social studies at grades four, eight and ten. The Department of Public Instruction publishes results from WSAS tests as part of each district's Annual District Report Card.
The Annual District Report Card compares district performance with state performance based on four criteria:
- Student Achievement: This category compares reading and math performance by district students to state and national standards.
- Student Growth: This category compares year-to-year performance on reading and math sections in WSAS tests.
- Closing Gaps: This category compares test performance by low-performing groups in the district to similar cohorts across the state.
- On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness: This category uses benchmarks including ACT scores, graduation rate, attendance rate and math achievement to assess post-graduate preparedness.
Eau Claire Area School District achieved an overall score of 70.4 during the 2012-2013 school year. The district's overall score led to a Meets Expectations designation from the Department of Public Instruction. The following table compares district performance with state performance according to the 2012-2013 Annual District Report Card:
|Annual District Report Card Grades, 2012-2013|
|Category||District score||State score|
|On-track and Postsecondary Readiness||86.7||84.9|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Wisconsin school district websites
Last rated on April 10, 2012.
- Past and present budget information is provided.
- Meeting times, agendas and minutes are posted.
- Board members and their contacts are posted.
- Administrative staff contacts are listed.
- Labor contracts are posted but vendor contracts are not available.
- Policies relating to accessing the Wisconsin Open Records Law are listed in the Board Policies.
- A link to the state academic performance database is provided.
- Policies and procedures for background checks are listed.
- No information about taxes proposed or passed to generate revenue for schools.
- District funded lobbying is not discussed.
- Audits are not posted.
- List of school districts in Wisconsin
- Eau Claire Area School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Eau Claire Area School District
- City of Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Eau Claire Association of Educators
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Wisconsin Information System for Education," accessed February 4, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "High school completion rates," accessed February 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Eau Claire, Wisconsin," accessed February 7, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Eau Claire County Clerk, "Election Results," accessed February 7, 2014
- LinkedIn, "Mary Ann Hardebeck," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Board Member Compensation and Expenses," February 2003
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Public Input at Board Meetings," November 2008
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Executive Summary," accessed December 11, 2013
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Certified Salary Schedule 2012-2013," accessed February 10, 2014
- Eau Claire Association of Educators, "Board," accessed February 10, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Schools," accessed February 10, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Report Cards," accessed February 5, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Budget," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Board Meeting Procedures," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Board Meeting Materials," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Past Minutes," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Minute Archives," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Board Members," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Staff Directory," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Contracts," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Access to Public Records," March 2006
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Public Records Notice," January 2008
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Public Records Fee Schedule," March 2006
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Assessment," accessed February 7, 2014
- Eau Claire Area School District, "Pre-Employment Criminal Background Check Procedures," accessed February 7, 2014