Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, Alaska
|Fairbanks North Star Borough School District|
|Number of schools:||33|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Kristina Brophy|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School Board
- 4 Administrative Officials
- 5 Budget
- 6 Teacher Salaries
- 7 Schools in Fairbanks North Star Borough
- 8 Controversies
- 9 Academic Performance
- 10 Lobbying
- 11 School Choice
- 12 Unions
- 13 Website evaluation
- 14 The good
- 15 The bad
- 16 Contact information
- 17 External links
- 18 See also
- 19 References
About the district
Fairbanks North Star Borough outperforms the rest of Alaska based on percentage of people below poverty level and high school graduation rates, while slightly underperforming the rest of Alaska in median household income. The median household income for Fairbanks North Star Borough is $68,922 when compared to $69,014 for the state of Alaska. The percentage of people below poverty level for Fairbanks North Star Borough is 7.8% while it is 9.5% for the state of Alaska. 93.0% of persons over the age of 25 have a high school degree, while 91.4% of Alaska residents have a high school degree. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 27.7% of Fairbanks North Star Borough residents aged 25 or older have a bachelor's degree, while the same rate is 27.2% for the state of Alaska.
|2010 Census Data for Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska|
|Race||Kenai Peninsula Borough||State of Alaska|
|Black or African American||5.3%||3.7%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||7.2%||14.8%|
|Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander||0.4%||1.2%|
|Two or more race||6.4%||7.1%|
|Hispanic or Latino||6.8%||6.1%|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent for Fairbanks North Star Borough School District is Pete Lewis. Lewis previously worked in the Spokane Public Schools as a teacher and activities coordinator. He is currently a doctoral candidate at Washington State University.
School board members are elected for staggered, three-year terms.
|Wendy C. Dominique||Board Member||2017|
|Heidi Haas||Board Vice President||2015|
|John Thies||Board Treasurer||2014|
|Sean Rice||Board Clerk||2014|
|Lisa Gentry||Board Member||2015|
|Sue Hull||Board Member||2017|
|Allyson Lambert||Board Member||2017|
|Colonel Larry G. Rice, Jr.||Base Representative Board Member|
|Colonel Ron Johnson||Post Representative Board Member|
|Colby Freel||Board Student Representative|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday in October. Three seats are up for election in October 2013, three seats are up for election in October 2014 and two seats are up for election in October 2015.
|Veronica Acosta||Budget Specialist|
|John Adams||Network Technician|
|Marquese Allen||Records Management Specialist|
|Louise Anderl||Director of Federal programs|
|Bill Bailey||Director of Community and Public Relations|
|Clarence Bolden||Executive Director of Human Resources|
|Tamara Boyd||Purchasing/Warehousing Clerk|
|Ellen Cruse||Executive Assistant|
|Mike Fisher||Chief Financial Officer|
|Colleen Fitzgerald||Director of Accounting Services|
|Bart Grahek||Director of Procurement and Warehousing|
|Kathy Helmick||Budget Specialist|
|Leonard Hisamoto||Purchasing Agent|
|Renee Tonne||Transportation Coordinator|
|Nichole Wood||Chief Accountant|
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The board entered into a negotiated agreement effective from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2012 with the Education Support Staff Association. The support staff 2009-10 salary schedule ranges from $10.91 to $34.32 and increases each year, so that the 2010-11 schedule is $11.49 to $35.61 and the 2011-12 salary schedule will be $11.95 to $37.03.
The board entered a negotiated agreement with the Fairbanks Education Association, effective from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2011. The 2008-09 salary schedule ranged from $41,110 to $80,537; the 2009-10 salary schedule ranged from $42,961 to $83,571; the 2010-11 salary schedule ranged from $44,679 to $86,914.
The board also has a negotiated agreement with the Fairbanks Principals Association valid between July 1, 2007, and June 30, 2010. The 2007-08 salary schedule ranged from $64,362 to $100,564. The agreement provided for salary increases each year, with the 2008-09 salary schedule that ranged from $65,971 to $103,078 and the 2009-10 salary schedule ranging from $67,620 to $105,655.
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District employed over 800 teachers during the 2011-2012 school year. This chart details teacher salaries according to the FY12-13 Certified Salary Schedule.
|FNSBSD FY12 Salary Scheduled|
|PAY GRADE||Bachelor's||Bachelor's +18||Master's/B+36||Master's +18||Master's +36||Master's +License|
Schools in Fairbanks North Star Borough
Fairbanks North Star Borough served approximately 14,152 students during the 2012-13 school year. The district has experienced some fluctuations in student enrollment with an overall decrease of 633 students between 2006 and 2013.
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District operated 34 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Fairbanks North Star Borough Schools|
|Barnette Magnet||Elementary K-8|
|Ben Eielson||High School|
|Chinook Montessori Charter||Elementary|
|Effie Kokrine||Middle/High (7-12)|
|North Pole||High School|
|North Pole||Middle School|
|Two Rivers||Elementary K-8|
|West Valley||High School|
The Fairbanks North Star Borough Assembly has rejected a measure to allow school district employees to carry weapons on district campuses. The measure has been condemned by Mayor Luke Hopkins and borough human resources manager Sallie Stuvek has said the measure would increase liability and insurance rates.
This 2011-12 District Report Card shows that the district did not meet Adequate Yearly Progress Status. The 4-year graduation rate is 70.2% and the 5-year graduation rate is 77.2%; the state target for both is 85%. Sixty percent of district schools were identified for improvement.
In the 2008-09 academic year, the district did not meet Annual Yearly Progress criteria established by the Alaska Department of Education & Early Development. The district was placed on AYP Level 4, which requires that, in addition to continuation of the school improvement plan, corrective action must be taken.
In the district, 82% of students are proficient in language arts and 75% are proficient in mathematics.
Performance by School 2011-12
|School||Level||Met Annual Yearly Progress?|
|Barnette Magnet||Elementary K-8||Yes|||
|Ben Eielson||High School||Yes|||
|Chinook Montessori Charter||Elementary||Yes|||
|Effie Kokrine||Middle/High (7-12)||No|||
|North Pole||High School||No|||
|North Pole||Middle School||No|||
|Two Rivers||Elementary K-8||Yes|||
|West Valley||High School||No|||
The district is a member of the Association of Alaska School Boards. The AASB states on its website that it promotes pro-education legislation and to protect the principle of local control of public education, with its efforts led by its Executive Director. The AASB also issues a Legislative Handbook to members of its Legislative Network and publishes a Legislative Bulletin. The AASB is also an affiliate of the National School Boards Association and its Federal Relations Network, which addresses the legislative process at a national level.
The district has four charter schools. Chinook Montessori Charter School serves students in kindegarten through eights grade. The Watershed School serves students in kindgegarten through seventh grade. Students at both schools are admitted via a lottery. Effie Kokrine Charter serves students in grades 7-12. The other upper-grade charter school serving grades 7-12 is Star of the North.
The Education Support Staff Association states in its negotiated agreement that it represents "all regular education support personnel."
The Fairbanks Principals Association represents the district's principals, assistant principals, and deans of students.
|Transparency grading process|
Last reviewed: October 2012
- Tax revenues are available and tax rates are published
- The current budget is published
- The calendar of Board meetings and meeting agendas and minutes are available and archived at least three years
- Names of Board officials, individual email address, individual phone numbers, and a physical address are available
- Names of administrative officials, individual email address, individual phone numbers, and a physical address are available
- Bids are posted
- The current audit is published and previous audits are available for the last three years
- Public reports information is available.
- Background check policy is available.
- Academic reports are available for standard testing and graduation rates are posted
- Awarded contract information is unavailable, and a search does not return relevant results.
- Archived budgets are unavailable, and a search does not return relevant results.
- Some public records information is available, but public records policies for additional information and related forms are unavailable.
Fairbanks North Star Borough School District
520 Fifth Avenue
Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District website
- Association of Alaska School Boards
- Greatschools.net Ratings of Schools in the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District
- District Information
- 2009 District AYP Worksheet
- United States Census Bureau, "Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska Quickfacts" accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau "2010 Census Date" accessed August 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Board Policy
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, "School Board Members," accessed August 6, 2013
- [http://www.k12northstar.org/sites/default/files/policy02.pdf Fairbanks North Star School District, "School Board Policies: Chapter 2 - School Board Governance and Operational Bylaws" accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, "2013-14 Approved Budget," accessed November 26, 2013
- FPA Agreement
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District "FNSBSD Certified Salary Schedule" accessed August 7, 2013
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, "Our Schools" accessed August 7, 2013
- KTUU.com, "FNSB Considers Allowing Armed Employees" Accesssed August 7, 2013
- District Report Card
- Consequences of Not Meeting AYP
- Anderson Report Card
- Anne Wien Report Card
- Arctic Light Report Card
- Badger Road Report Card
- Barnette Report Card
- Eielson Report Card
- B.E.S.T. Report Card
- Chinook Report Card
- Crawford Report Card
- Denali Report Card
- Kokrine Report Card
- Hunter Report Card
- Hutchison Report Card
- Joy Report Card
- Ladd Report Card
- Lathrop High School
- Nordale Report Card
- North Pole Elementary Report Card
- North Pole High School Report Card
- North Pole Middle School Report Card
- Pearl Creek Report Card
- Randy Smith Middle School Report Card
- Ryan Middle School Report Card
- Salcha Report Card
- Tanana Report Card
- Ticasuk Brown Report Card
- Two Rivers Report Card
- University Park Report Card
- Watershed Report Card
- Weller Report Card
- Woodriver Report Card
- AASB Membership Directory
- AASB Legislative Efforts
- AASB Legislative Efforts
- AASB Legislative Bulletin Archive
- AASB Legislative Services
- NASB Federal Relations Network
- State Charter School Directory
- About Chinook Montessori Charter School
- About Watershed School
- Lottery Information
- About Our School
- Fairbanks Education Association
- - 31993a32103 Tax information
- Current budget
- School Board
- Administrative officials
- Public reports
- Background policy
- Academic reports