Kent School District, Washington
|Kent School District|
|Superintendent:||Edward Lee Vargas|
|Number of schools:||40|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Debbie Straus|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in district
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the district
Kent lagged behind state averages for higher education achievement, median income and poverty. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (25.3%) fell below the state average (31.4%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Kent's median income at $58,622 while the state median income was $58,890. Kent had a poverty rate of 15.6% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 12.5%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Kent School District is Dr. Edward Lee Vargas. Vargas has served in the position since his appointment in 2009. He previously served as Superintendent of Hacienda La Puente Unified School District in California and Ysleta Independent School District in Texas.
The Kent School Board consists of five members elected by district to four-year terms. Each member can be compensated $50 per day for district matters with maximum compensation of $4,800 per year.
|Kent School Board|
|Member||District||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
- See also: Kent School District elections (2013)
Members of the School Board are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats on the board were up for election on November 5, 2013, and three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
The Kent School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Kent School District employed 1,450 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at 15, 30, 45, 90 and 135 quarter credits. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Kent Education Association for 2012-2013:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in Kent School District are represented by the Kent Education Association (KEA).
Schools in district
The district served 26,613 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced an 0.8% decrease in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Kent School District operates 40 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Kent School District|
|Carriage Crest Elementary School|
|Cedar Heights Middle School|
|Cedar Valley Elementary School|
|Covington Elementary School|
|Crestwood Elementary School|
|Daniel Elementary School|
|East Hill Elementary School|
|Emerald Park Elementary School|
|Fairwood Elementary School|
|Glenridge Elementary School|
|Grass Lake Elementary School|
|Horizon Elementary School|
|Jenkins Creek Elementary School|
|Kent Elementary School|
|Kent Mountain View Academy|
|Kent Phoenix Academy|
|Kentlake High School|
|Kent-Meridian High School|
|Kentridge High School|
|Kentwood High School|
|Lake Youngs Elementary School|
|Martin Sortun Elementary School|
|Mattson Middle School|
|Meadow Ridge Elementary School|
|Meeker Middle School|
|Meridian Elementary School|
|Meridian Middle School|
|Mill Creek Middle School|
|Millennium Elementary School|
|Neely-O'Brien Elementary School|
|Northwood Middle School|
|Panther Lake Elementary School|
|Park Orchard Elementary School|
|Pine Tree Elementary School|
|Ridgewood Elementary School|
|Sawyer Woods Elementary School|
|Scenic Hill Elementary School|
|Soos Creek Elementary School|
|Springbrook Elementary School|
|Sunrise Elementary School|
The Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction published a state report card for 2011-2012 assessing subject proficiency levels and year-to-year progress for each district. This report card relies on data from the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) and High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to determine if each district meets Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) goals in reading and math. The goal for each district is to meet proficiency goals at all grade levels and student demographics by the 2013-2014 school year.
Kent School District met the state goal of 95% participation across all grade levels. The district did not meet AYP goals for reading at the elementary or middle school levels.
|Student Proficiency Levels, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Reading (%)||Math (%)|
Adequate Yearly Progress
|AYP Achievement, 2011-2012|
|Grade||Meet Reading AYP?||Meet Math AYP?|
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Washington school district websites
Last rated on May 23, 2012.
- 2011-2012 budget is posted.
- Administrative Officials
- Officials are listed with email addresses.
- Elected Officials
- School Board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting minutes and agendas are posted.
- Meeting schedule and information is available.
- Audits are posted.
- Academic performance is noted.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is posted.
- Administrative Officials
- Phone numbers are not provided.
- Vendor contracts and bids are not posted.
- Previous budgets are not posted.
- Public Records
- Public records information and request form not available.
- Tax information is not posted.
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Student Enrollment Cohort Projections," accessed August 9, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Kent," accessed August 1, 2013
- King County Elections, "Election Archive," accessed August 9, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Kent School District, "Superintendent," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "School Board," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Summary of General Fund Budget," accessed December 3, 2013
- Kent School District, "KEA Contract," September 14, 2011
- Kent Education Association, "About KEA," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Our Schools," accessed August 9, 2013
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Washington State Report Card," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "2012-2913 Budget," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Basic District Facts," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Board Docs," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "School Board Meeting Overview," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Monthly Financial Statements," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Contracts, Calendars and Salary Schedules," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "Contract Agreements," accessed August 9, 2013
- Kent School District, "KSD Careers," accessed August 9, 2013