For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Beaumont Independent School District, Texas
|Beaumont Independent School District|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Carroll A. Thomas|
|Number of schools:||26|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Woodrow Reece|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Beaumont ISD
- 7 Withholding public documents
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 References
About the districtBeaumont, Texas. It is a city in and county seat of Jefferson County, Texas. According to the 2010 US Census, it is home to 118,228 residents. It is near the southeastern border of Texas and Louisiana, and the citywide district encompasses 153.34 square miles.
Beaumont outperformed the rest of Texas with regard to graduation rate, but under performed in regards to average household income and poverty rate in 2011. The graduation rate in Beaumont was 83.0% compared to 80.4% statewide. The US Census found that the average household income in Beaumont was $40,283 compared to $50,920 for Texas. Beaumont had a poverty rate of 21.6% in 2011, while Texas was 17.0%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Beaumont City (%)||Texas (%)|
|Black or African American||47.3||11.8|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.6||0.7|
|Two or More Races||2.0||2.7|
|Hispanic or Latino||13.4||37.6|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current superintendent of the Beaumont Independent School District is Dr. Carroll A. Thomas, who was appointed by the board in 1996. Thomas earned a Bachelor's of Science degree from Texas A&I, his superintendent’s certificate from Texas Tech and his doctorate from Texas Southern University. Prior to Beaumont, Thomas served as superintendent of North Forest Independent School District in Houston, Texas, where his work earned him the title of Superintendent of the Year for Region 4. Thomas is responsible for introducing a student assignment plan that ended years of distress over integration in Beaumont.
According to records received through the Texas Public Information Act, Beaumont ISD has one of the highest paid school superintendents in the state. Carrol Thomas received $322,117 in base pay for the 2007/08 year.
The Beaumont Independent School District is overseen by a seven-member board elected by district to three-year terms without compensation.
|Beaumont ISD School Board|
|Woodrow Reece||President||District 3||2015|
|Janice Brassard||Vice-President||District 7||2013|
|Terry Williams||Secretary||District 1||2015|
|Thomas Neild||Trustee||District 6||2013|
|Mike Neil||Trustee||District 5||2015|
|Gwen Ambres||Trustee||District 4||2013|
|Zenobia Randall Bush||Trustee||District 2||2015|
Elections and redistricting controversy
Three seats were scheduled to be up for election on the Beaumont Independent School District board on November 5, 2013. The general election was originally scheduled for May 11, 2013, but was postponed pending allegations that the election didn't comply with redistricting and the Voting Rights Act. In March, the board rescinded a 7-0 redistricting map trustees approved in February and decided to use a map the Justice Department pre-cleared in 2001. The Ninth Court of Appeals originally ruled that all seven seats would be up for re-election. Three board members — Terry Williams, Zenobia Bush and board president Woodrow Reece — didn't file for their seats because they assumed they weren't up until 2015, causing them to potentially lose their seats on the board. In July, the Court ruled that only 3 seats, not all 7, would be up for re-election. They were Districts 4, 6 and 7.
- Court rules against BISD in election dispute
- Courts, voters will settle the Battle of the BISD Board
- Group protests Voting Rights ruling that will impact BISD election
- DOJ could delay Beaumont school board election
- DC court cancels Beaumont school board election
- BISD: Court approves November election for three board seats
- Board candidates appeal ruling allowing BISD elections to move forward
The table below displays the budget for Beaumont Independent School District:
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
|Beaumont ISD Teacher Salary Schedule 2012-2013|
|Experience||Bachelor's Degree ($)||Master's Degree ($)||Doctorate Degree ($)|
Schools in Beaumont ISD
Beaumont ISD serves 19,893 students in 26 schools.
Beaumont ISD operates 26 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Beaumont ISD Schools|
|Amelia Elementary School|
|Austin Middle School|
|Bingman Head Start|
|Blanchette Elementary School|
|Caldwood Elementary School|
|Central Medical Magnet High School|
|Charlton-Pollard Elementary School|
|Clifton J. Ozen High School|
|Dishman Elementary School|
|Fehl-Price Elementary School|
|Fletcher Elementary School|
|Homer Drive Elementary School|
|Lucas Pre-K Center|
|Dr. Mae E. Jones-Clark Elementary|
|Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School|
|Marshall Middle School|
|Pietzsch-MacArthur Elementary School|
|Regina Howell Elementary School|
|Roy Guess Elementary School|
|Sallie Curtis Elementary School|
|South Park Middle School|
|Vincent Middle School|
|West Brook High School|
|Willie Ray Smith Middle School|
Withholding public documents
According to the Texas Examiner in August 2008, BISD has "systematically delayed the release of, or outright withheld, information, documents and financial records requested pursuant to the Texas Public Information Act. And, the secrecy is not limited simply to citizens and media representatives; it also applies to school board trustees."
The newspaper reports that it has confirmed that:
- Competitive bidding information was withheld from school board trustees.
- During the July 31 meeting "Item S" on the agenda dealt with the awarding of a contract "to the proposed construction manager at risk for the prototypical elementary schools at Amelia Elementary, Blanchette Elementary and Martin Elementary."
- The three companies were ranked in order of their recommendation but The Examiner later discovered that Allco Construction Inc. was not the lowest bidder.
- However, trustees were not made aware of that fact.
According to Janice Brassard, school board vice-president, the trustees were not provided with the actual bids.
Brassard expressed that the members of the board of trustees need to be asking more questions in order to be responsible to the parents, students and taxpayers of the district. "Knowing what I know now, I think I need to ask some very pointed questions to get the answers that I need to feel comfortable. I am going (to) clearly start making lists of some very pointed questions about what is going on. I definitely have some concerns."
BISD taxpayers voted to approve a $389 million bond initiative in November 2007.
- School board elections portal
- Beaumont Independent School District elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Texas
- Quick Facts, "Beaumont, Texas," accessed August 5, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Beaumont Independent School District, "Executive Cabinet," accessed August 5, 2013
- 2007-2008 Texas Superintendent Salaries
- Beaumont Independent School District, "School Board," accessed August 5, 2013
- Beaumont Enterprise, "Courts, voters will settle the Battle of the BISD Board," accessed August 5, 2013
- YouTube, "Court rules against BISD in election dispute," accessed August 5, 2013
- Beaumont Independent School District, "Department of Finance," accessed December 16, 2014
- Beaumont Independent School District, "2012-2013 Beaumont Independent School District Salary Schedule," accessed August 27, 2013
- Beaumont Independent School District, "Campuses," accessed August 5, 2013