Council Rock School District, Pennsylvania
|Council Rock School District|
|Superintendent:||Mark J. Klein|
|Number of schools:||9|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Richard Abramson, Esq.|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Council Rock School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website Evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtBucks County, Pennsylvania. According to the 2010 United States Census, Bucks County is home to 627,053 residents.
Bucks County outperformed in comparison to the rest of Pennsylvania in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The United States Census Bureau found that 34.7% of Bucks County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 27.0% for Pennsylvania as a whole. The median household income in Bucks County was $76,019 compared to $52,267 for the state of Pennsylvania. The poverty rate in Bucks County was 5.2% compared to 13.1% for the entire state.
Mark J. Klein is the current superintendent of Council Rock School District. He has served as Council Rock’s superintendent since 2004. In 2012, the school board voted to extend his contract through June 2017. Under terms of that contract, Klein will be paid $196,000 per year. His salary will be revisited in 2015 or sooner, at the discretion of the board. If Klein decides to leave the district, the contract states he must give the board a minimum of 150 days notice.
The Council Rock School Board is composed of nine members serving four-year terms.
|Pocono Mountain School District|
|Richard Abramson||Region 1||2015|
|Bill Foster||Region 2||2015|
|Denise Brooks||Region 3||2017|
|Wendi Thompson||Region 4||2015|
|Jerold Grupp||Region 5||2015|
|Mark Byelich||Region 6||2017|
|Patty Sexton||Region 7||2015|
|Andy Block||Region 8||2017|
|Kyle Mckessy||Region 9||2017|
School board elections
Members of the Council Rock School Board are elected to four-year terms. Each election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of odd-numbered years. Five seats are up for election in November 2015 and four seats are up for election in November 2017.
Public participation in board meetings
The Council Rock School Board maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
The Board recognizes the value to school governance of public comment on educational issues and the importance of involving members of the public in Board meetings.
In order to permit fair and orderly expression of such comment, the Board will provide two (2) periods for public participation at every open meeting of the Board and will formulate rules to govern such public participation in Board meetings to include limiting public comment to no more than three (3) minutes per individual.
3. Delegation of Responsibility
The presiding officer at each public Board meeting will follow the rules of the Board for conduct of public meetings in accordance with this policy and Policy 006. The presiding officer shall be guided by the rules established by the Board.
Public participation shall be permitted only as indicated on the order of business in the Board Agenda, provided however, that the public may be afforded added time for public comment when an agenda item is added to the preprinted Board Agenda, prior to a vote by the Board.
All persons wishing to participate in a public Board meeting may be required to register their intent with the Board Secretary in advance of the meeting and include name and address of the participant, group affiliation, if appropriate, and topic to be addressed.
Participants must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface their comments by an announcement of their name and municipality of residence.
Visitors shall direct their comments to the President of the Board.
A visitor who may wish to distribute materials to the Board shall furnish those materials to a designated representative of the Board to include the Director of Business Affairs or Director of Secondary Education.
No participant may speak more than once on the same topic unless all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard.
The presiding officer may:
Electronic recording devices may be utilized during the time the meeting is in general session provided that:
Council Rock School District published its annual budget on its district website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the current salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Council Rock Education Association:
|Pocono Mountain Teacher Salaries|
|Salary structure||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA + 12||48,673||85,069|
|BA + 24||53,099||90,536|
|MA + 6||57,524||96,003|
|MA + 12||59,735||98,734|
|MA + 18||61,949||101,468|
|MA + 24||64,160||104,199|
|MA + 30||66,373||106,934|
Schools in Council Rock School District
The district served 11,273 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. It has not published more recent enrollment statistics. The district experienced an 6.4% decrease in enrollment between 2007 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2007 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Council Rock School District operates 16 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Council Rock School District|
|Churchville Elementary School|
|Council Rock High School North|
|Council Rock High School South|
|Goodnoe Elementary School|
|Hillcrest Elementary School|
|Holland Elementary School|
|Holland Middle School|
|Maureen M. Welch Elementary School|
|Newtown Elementary School|
|Newtown Middle School|
|Richboro Elementary School|
|Richboro Middle School|
|Rolling Hills Elementary School|
|Sol Feinstone Elementary School|
|Wrightstown Elementary School|
Adequate Yearly Progress
Academic performance statistics for the district are available via Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) reports. These reports provide measurements defined by the federal No Child Left Behind Act, which allow the U.S. Department of Education to determine the academic performance of every public school and school district across the country. In Pennsylvania, AYP measures student results for three indicators: attendance (for schools without a high school graduating class) or graduation rate (for schools with a high school graduating class), academic performance on standardized tests and test participation.
In order to be proficient in attendance, schools much achieve a 90% attendance rate or meet a target set in the previous year. The graduation rate measure has a goal of 85%, or a 10% reduction of the difference between the previous year's graduation rate and an 85% rate. For academic performance, the state goals for the 2011-2012 school year were 78% of students scoring at proficient or higher in mathematics and 81% of students scoring at proficient or higher in reading. For test preparation, at least 95% of all students in each subgroup must take the standardized tests. Council Rock School District made AYP in 2011 and 2012.
|District AYP scores|
30 N. Chancellor Street
Newtown, PA 18940
|Transparency grading process|
This website was last evaluated on March 19, 2013.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state, and local funding in the budget.
- The school notes which local taxes provide funding for the school.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 2 years.
- Meeting minutes are archived for 8 years.
- Meeting agendas are archived for 8 years.
- A meeting calendar is available and names the times and locations of public meetings.
- Meeting videos are available.
- Board policies are published.
- Administrative officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2010 are available.
- Public records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the Superintendent. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- A public records form is provided by the Superintendent.
- A fee schedule for documents is provided..
- Academic performance reports for the school are posted online.
- Background check information is available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Budgets are not archived for at least 3 years.
- Audits are not archived for at least 3 years.
- Background checks
- The criminal background check policy and teacher certification requirements are not posted online.
- Teacher salaries or collective bargaining statements are not provided.
- Pocono Mountain School District elections (2013)
- Pennsylvania school districts
- List of school districts in Pennsylvania
- School boards and school board elections
- Council Rock School District
- Council Rock Education Association]
- Bucks County
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Council Rock School District, "Home," accessed January 9, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Bucks County, Pennsylvania," accessed January 9, 2014
- The New York TImes, "Election Results," Accessed August 9, 2013
- Newtown Patch, "Superintendent Klein to Serve Five More Years," January 20, 2012
- Council Rock School District, "School Board," accessed January 9, 2014
- Council Rock School District, "School Board Policies: Community," accessed January 9, 2013
- Council Rock School District, "Council Rock School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 5, 2013
- Council Rock School District, "AgreementBetweenCouncil Rock School District and Council Rock Education Association," accessed January 9, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "Public School Enrollment Reports," accessed January 9, 2014
- Council Rock School District, "Select a School," accessed January 9, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "About AYP in Pennsylvania," accessed August 6, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "Council Rock SD AYP Report Card," accessed January 9, 2014
- Budget DocumentRevised72111.pdf Tax revenue and rates
- 2011-12 Budget
- Board Meetings
- Board policies
- Board members
- Audit 2010
- Open Records Requests
- Council Rock District Report Card
- PROGRESS/818.pdf Background check policy