Three Republicans vie for Alabama State Senate seat in special election
By Geoff Pallay
A special primary is scheduled for January 29, 2013. Candidates had until December 13, 2012 to file. Since no Democrats filed, the primary became the general election. A runoff, if necessary, will take place March 12.
Three candidates have filed for the seat:
- Barton: $218,000
- Hightower: $30,000
- Matranga: $2,800
If Barton wins the seat, a special election will be called for his seat in the Alabama House of Representatives.
- State legislative special elections, 2013
- Alabama state legislative special elections, 2013
- Alabama State Senate
- Local 15, "Ala. Senate District 35 to Hold Special Election," December 4, 2012
- Al.com, "Three Republicans qualify for state Senate District 35 special election," December 12, 2012
- Alabama.com "Nick Matranga, State Senate candidate, to criticize special interest influence in campaign" January 14, 2013