Independence School District, Missouri
|Independence School District|
|Number of schools:||26|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Ann Franklin|
About the districtJackson County in Independence, Missouri. It is located in the second largest county in Missouri. According to the 2010 United States Census, Independence is home to 116,830 residents.
Independence underperformed the state average in median household income and residents living below the poverty level. The United States Census Bureau found that 17.4 percent of Independence residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 25.8 percent for Missouri as a whole. The median household income in Independence was $44,847 compared to $51,529 for the state of Missouri. The poverty rate in Independence was 16.1 percent compared to 15.0 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Dale Herl is the current superintendent of Independence School District. He has served in this role since July 2013. Herl earned his doctoral degree from Wichita State University.
The Independence School District Board of Education is composed of seven members serving six-year terms.
|Independence Board of Education|
School board elections
Members of the Independence School District Board of Education are elected to six-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election for two seats was held on April 8, 2014. There were no elections held in 2013, and no election will be held in 2015.
Independence School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Independence School District employed 696 K-12 teachers during the 2012-13 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at credit intervals. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Independence Teachers for 2013-2014:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|B.A. + 16||36,781||53,099|
|MA + 16||39,750||63,302|
|MA + 32||41,406||66,267|
Schools in Independence School District
Independence School District served 13,937 students in 26 schools in the 2012-2013 school year.
Independence School District operates 26 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Independence School District|
|Abraham Mallinson Elementary|
|Little Blue Elementary|
|Mill Creek Elementary|
|Pioneer Ridge Middle|
|Santa Fe Trail|
|Sugar Creek Elementary|
|Sycamore Hills Elementary|
|Three Trails Elementary|
|William Southern Elementary|
Missouri’s Top 10 by 20 plan holds as a primary goal that all students will graduate high school college-and-career-ready. To measure progress toward this goal and to distinguish among school and district performance, the Department computes an Annual Performance Report (APR) score for each Local Education Agency (LEA) and school. This overall score is comprised of scores for each of the MSIP 5 Performance Standards
- Academic Achievement
- Subgroup Achievement
- High School Readiness (K-8 districts) or College and Career Readiness (K-12 districts)
- Attendance Rate
- Graduation Rate (K-12 districts).
Status, progress, and growth (where applicable) are used to calculate a comprehensive score used to determine the accreditation level of a school district. Data for academic achievement (English language arts and mathematics), subgroup achievement (English language arts and mathematics) and graduation rate are also used for federal accountability determinations, including reward, focus and priority school identification, for LEAs and schools.
The MSIP 5 Performance Standards were approved by the State Board of Education in December of 2011 and go into effect two years from the date of approval. Missouri’s ESEA Flexibility Request was approved by the United States Department of Education in July of 2012. The components used for federal accountability went into effect upon approval of the request.
|MSIP 5 Performance Comparison|
|MSIP 5 Standards||Possible Points||Points Earned||Percent Earned|
|College and Career Ready||30||24||80%|
For the 2012-2013 school year, Independence School District students earned an average Missouri Assessment Program index score of 346.5. Students scored highest in social studies with an index score of 361.1, but they scored lowest in mathematics with an index score of 329.0. The district's average MAP index score ranked 238 out of the 469 Missouri school districts that reported scores for all four tested subject areas.
- Missouri school districts
- List of school districts in Missouri
- Independence School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Independence School District, "2013-2014 Budget," accessed December 2, 2013
- Missouri Comprehensive Data System, "School Finance Report" accessed February 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Independence (city), Missouri," accessed February 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Joe Robinson, KansasCity.com, "Independence looks inside for next school superintendent, hiring Dale Herl," April 10, 2014
- Independence School District, "Board of Education," accessed February 7, 2014
- Jefferson County, Missouri, "Sample Ballot," accessed February 5, 2014
- Missouri Comprehensive Data System, "District Student Staff Ratios," accessed February 7, 2014
- Independence School District, "2013-2014 TEACHER SALARY SCHEDULE," accessed February 7, 2014
- Independence School District, "Schools," accessed February 6, 2014
- Missouri Comprehensive Data System, "Summary Annual Performance Report, Accesssed February 7, 2014
- Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, "State Assessment," accessed July 8, 2014