|U.S. House, California, District 33|
|Los Angeles City Council District 2|
|Los Angeles City Controller|
She is a former Los Angeles City Controller and was a candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles on the May 21, 2013 ballot. Greuel was defeated by Eric Garcetti in the May 21 mayoral general election. If she was elected, she would've been the first female mayor of Los Angeles.
Greuel co-owns a family business, Frontier Building Supply.
Greuel's political career began when she served as an aide to former Mayor Tom Bradley. When Bradley moved to Washington, DC in 1993 to take a job with the Clinton administration, so did a number of his aides, including Greuel. Her role was as an HUD administrator of grants to fight homelessness. She left her position with the federal government in 1997 to go to work for the film studio DreamWorks, as its manager of political affairs.
Greuel was first elected to a political office in 2002, when she won a seat on the Los Angeles City Council with a margin of 242 votes.
Greuel's campaign website listed the following issues:
—Wendy Greuel's campaign website, http://www.wendygreuel.org/issues/
At a campaign forum held in Koreatown on November 14, Greuel opposed a City of Los Angeles Pension Reform Initiative, and the measure failed to appear on the May 21, 2013 ballot. The pension reform measure was sponsored by former mayor Richard Riordan. Garcetti and Perry also opposed the Riordan plan, while Kevin James supported it.
With respect to Riordan's plan, Greuel said, "I have concerns about it being ... sustainable in the city of L.A. So today it would not be something I would support."
If approved, the sales tax would have increased by half-a-cent on the purchase of goods and services made within the city.
Greuel said with respect to the proposed new tax, "I have concerns about going to the public for a sales tax at a time when the public doesn't believe we've done everything that we can do."
|U.S. House, California District 33 Primary, 2014|
|Source: The New York Times Vote totals above are unofficial and will be updated once official totals are made available.|
Greuel received the endorsement of former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. He said, "Wendy Greuel is the right choice, right now. The Wendy Greuel I know is a champion for women, a champion on the environment and something near and dear to me, a huge champion on transportation and traffic relief."
Greuel was also endorsed by California Attorney General Kamala Harris. Harris said in an interview, "I've known Wendy for a very long time. I know her to be someone who will represent California in a very important way."
EMILY's List endorsed Greuel in the race as well. Stephanie Schriock, president of EMILY's List, said "Wendy Greuel has demonstrated outstanding leadership as a public servant fighting for education, small businesses, and government accountability for California families. The EMILY’s List community – now more than three million members strong – is excited to support Wendy’s campaign to be a strong voice for the women and families of California’s 33rd congressional district."
- See also: Los Angeles mayoral election, 2013
May 21 general
|Mayor of Los Angeles, General Election, 2013|
|Source: Los Angeles City Clerk|
March 5 primary
|Mayor of Los Angeles, Primary, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Addie M. Miller||0.5%||1,810|
|Nonpartisan||Yehuda "Yj" Draiman||0.4%||1,543|
|Source: Los Angeles City Clerk|
|Wendy Greuel (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$0||$672,214||$(178,868)||$493,346|
|Pre-Primary||May 22, 2014||$493,346||$377,918||$(685,304)||$185,960|
Through December 31, 2012, Greuel had raised slightly over $4 million for her campaign, including matching funds. This put her in a virtual dead heat with Eric Garcetti in the fundraising sweepstakes.
This chart shows fundraising totals for the mayoral election's "Big 5" candidates through February 27, 2013:
|Candidate||Contributions rec'd||Expenses||Cash on hand||Matching funds|
Greuel lives in Studio City. She is married to Dean Schramm. They have a son, Thomas.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Wendy + Greuel + California + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- California's 33rd Congressional District elections, 2014
- California's 33rd Congressional District
- Campaign website, accessed February 5, 2014
- Daily Breeze, "Filing period opens for March elections in South Bay, Los Angeles," November 11, 2012
- Los Angeles City Clerk, "Election results," May 21, 2013
- Los Angeles Times, "Wendy Greuel walks tightrope in mayor's race," January 7, 2013
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed April 23, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Los Angeles Times, "Riordan agrees to debates over city retirement benefits plan," November 15, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "L.A. mayoral candidates debate Riordan pension overhaul plan," November 15, 2012
- Los Angeles Daily News, "Los Angeles City Council votes to put sales tax hike on March ballot," November 13, 2012
- Los Angeles Daily News, "Los Angeles mayoral candidates unite against proposed sales tax hike," November 14, 2012
- The New York Times, "California Primary Results," June 3, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Villaraigosa backs Wendy Greuel's congressional bid," February 4, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Kamala Harris endorses Wendy Greuel in race for Waxman's House seat," February 6, 2014
- EMILY's List, "EMILY’s List Endorses Wendy Greuel for Congress," February 7, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Conservation League backs two rivals for Waxman's House seat," April 18, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Wendy Greuel April Quarterly," accessed May 6, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Wendy Greuel Pre-Primary," accessed June 3, 2014
- Los Angeles Times, "Greuel, Garcetti campaigns for L.A. mayor are ahead in fundraising," January 10, 2013
- Los Angeles Times, "Eric Garcetti edges Wendy Greuel in L.A. mayoral race fundraising," October 11, 2012
- Campaign website, "About Wendy Greuel," accessed May 10, 2012