Owasso Public Schools, Oklahoma
|Owasso Public Schools|
|Tulsa County, Oklahoma|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Clark Ogilvie|
|Number of schools:||14|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Brent England|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Owasso Public Schools
- 7 Issues
- 8 Website evaluation
- 9 Contact information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtTulsa County, Oklahoma. The county seat of Tulsa County is Tulsa. According to the United States Census Bureau, Tulsa County is home to 603,403 residents. Owasso is the 12th largest school district in Oklahoma, serving 9,143 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Tulsa County overperformed in comparison to the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 29.5% of Tulsa County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 23.2% for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Tulsa County was $47,845 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Tulsa County was 15.4% compared to 16.6% for the entire state.
The current superintendent of Owasso Public Schools is Dr. Clark Ogilvie, who has served in the position for over ten years. Prior to his current post, he was superintendent of Berryhill Public Schools. In 2013, he was named the District 5 Superintendent of the Year, an honor which he had received once before.
The Owasso School Board has five members that are elected by ward to five-year terms.
|Owasso School Board|
|Brent England||President||Ward 4||2014|
|Forrest "Frosty" Turpen||Vice President||Ward 5||2015|
|Pat Vanatta||Clerk||Ward 1||2016|
|Gail Ballinger||Member||Ward 3||2018|
|Rhonda Mills||Member||Ward 2||2017|
School board elections
- See also: Owasso Public Schools elections (2014)
One seat on the Owasso School Board was scheduled to be up for election on November 5, 2013, however the election was canceled because the incumbent was running unopposed. One seat will be up for election in 2015 and one seat will be up in 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Owasso School Board maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
Patrons may address the Board during regular meetings on any item listed on the agenda for the current month’s meeting. In order to be heard, speakers must sign in within the 15-minute period before the Board meeting is called to order. The president may establish the order for speakers. Each speaker will be given a maximum of three minutes. Members of the Board are not allowed to respond to comments from the floor, and no vote or action may be taken on issues raised. Patrons may also address the board on other items concerning the Owasso Public Schools district, but must submit a letter 7 days prior to the board meeting stating the reason to address the board. The request will then be placed on the agenda as one of the agenda items.
The table below displays the budget for Janesville School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Owasso Public Schools does not publish its teacher salary schedule on its website.
Schools in Owasso Public Schools
Owasso Public Schools serves 9,143 students, as of 2010-2011 enrollment data. Owasso Public Schools does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Owasso Public Schools operates 14 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Owasso Public Schools|
|Ator Elementary School|
|Bailey Elementary School|
|Barnes Elementary School|
|Hodson Elementary School|
|Mills Elementary School|
|Northeast Elementary School|
|Owasso Eighth Grade Center|
|Owasso High School|
|Owasso Mid-High School|
|Owasso Ram Academy|
|Owasso Seventh Grade Center|
|Owasso Sixth Grade Center|
|Smith Elementary School|
|Stone Canyon Elementary School|
Owasso Kids For Christ
In 2011, a children's prayer group, "Owasso Kids For Christ" filed a federal lawsuit against Owasso Public Schools for allegedly censoring their right to exercise its faith. The lawsuit came after the group distributed flyers at Northeast Elementary with its motto "“One Dream, One Vision, Reaching the World for Christ!" attached to them. The district told the group it had to stop, as it contained "recruiting" elements, and that it was just following policy to not engage in discriminatory behavior. The district and the group reached a settlement in April 2012 wherein the district paid the group $20,000 for legal fees. The district also altered its policy so that fliers are no longer sent out to parents of any organization.
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Oklahoma school district websites
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- School board members are listed with email addresses.
- Board meeting schedule and agenda are posted.
- District report cards are posted.
- Budget and revenue information is published.
- School board members are listed with contact information.
- Public records information can be found in the Policy Manual.
- Background check requirements are noted in the Policy Manual.
- School board meeting minutes are not listed.
- School board elections portal
- Owasso Public Schools elections (2014)
- List of school districts in Oklahoma
- Owasso Public Schools, "Current Year Operating Budgets," accessed December 10, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Tulsa County, Oklahoma," accessed January 15, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 15, 2014
- Danielle Stoltz, KJRH, "Owasso Public Schools' Dr. Clark Ogilvie named 2013 District 5 Superintendent of the Year," June 10, 2013
- Owasso Public Schools, "School board," accessed January 30, 2014
- Owasso Public Schools, "Board Meeting Information," accessed January 30, 2014
- Owasso Public Schools, "Schools," accessed January 30, 2014
- Staff, Fox23.com, "Christian group sues Owasso School District," October 25, 2011
- Steve Bracken, Daily Kos, ""Owasso Kids For Christ" Sues Owasso Public Schools," October 25, 2011
- Staff, Fox23.com, "Settlement reached in lawsuit against Owasso Public Schools," April 4, 2012
- Coalgate School Board
- Report Cards
- Budget and Finance
- School Board
- Policy Manual