|Alaska House of Representatives District 5|
|January 28, 2013 - present|
|January 26, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
Higgins attended the University of Alaska Fairbanks, earned his Certificate as an Airplane Mechanic for the Hutchinson Career Development Center, and earned his DDS from Creighton in 1999.
Higgins' professional experience includes working as an employee of Markair, Friendship Air, Alaska Pipeline and Air North and as a dentist/business owner. Higgins served in the Alaska Air National Guard.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Higgins served on the following committees:
|Alaska Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health & Social Services, Chair|
|• Economic Development, Trade & Tourism|
|• Military & Veterans' Affairs|
Higgins's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Alaska’s Natural Resources
- Excerpt: "Responsible resource development is Alaska’s future. Whether it is oil, gas, fishing, tourism or mining, I support the industries that support Alaska. We all want a pipeline and we need living wage jobs in Fairbanks and other parts of our State. Let's get to work developing the industries that will bring these jobs to the Interior."
- Economic Growth
- Excerpt: "Development of our primary resources will spur economic growth and strengthen our economy. In addition, value added resource development will provide long-term Alaskan jobs. The availability of low cost energy will provide a climate that is necessary for new industry development."
- Excerpt: "Alaska needs to develop low cost sustainable energy and Fairbanks needs to benefit from it. I pay electric bills for three offices and my home. Do I have an interest in developing low cost energy? I certainly do. "
- Excerpt: "Many people have asked, “Why would a Dentist want to run for government office?” My answer is clear; I am concerned and motivated to the point of action! Much has been said this election cycle about Private Sector individuals serving in elected positions in Juneau."
- Excerpt: "My wife Christine and I have three sons and two daughters, and I have one daughter from a previous marriage. I love all of my children and my role as their father is the most sacred stewardship that I have. The family is the foundational unit of our society; therefore I support legislation that protects the family unit. Liberal agendas are continuously eroding families and infringing on the rights of parents."
Elections for the office of Alaska House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 19, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Elizabeth C. Clark was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Pete B. Higgins was unopposed in the Republican primary. Adam Wool (D) will face Higgins in the general election. Clark withdrew from the race on August 20, 2014.
Higgins won election in the 2012 election for Alaska House of Representatives District 5. He defeated Aaron Lojewski in the August 28, 2012 Republican primary and defeated David Watts (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 5, General Election, 2012|
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 5 Republican Primary, 2012|
- See also: Alaska State Senate elections, 2010
|Alaska State Senate, District D General Election (2010)|
|Joe Thomas (D)||9,723|
|Pete Higgins (R)||7,245|
Comprehensive donor information for Higgins is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Higgins raised a total of $112,735 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 1, 2013.
|Pete Higgins's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Alaska State House, District 5||$26,522|
|2010||Alaska State Senate, District D||$86,213|
|Grand Total Raised||$112,735|
2012Higgins won election to the Alaska House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Higgins raised a total of $26,522.
|Alaska House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Pete Higgins's campaign in 2012|
|Alaska Republican Party||$2,000|
|Fairbanks Republican Women||$1,500|
|Alaska Dental Society||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$26,522|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Higgins lost the election for the Alaska State Senate in 2010. During that election cycle, Higgins raised a total of $86,213.
|Alaska State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Pete Higgins's campaign in 2010|
|Alaskan Republican Party||$15,400|
|Fairbanks Republican Women||$2,500|
|Fairbanks Republican Womens Club||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$86,213|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 28th Alaska State Legislature was in session from January 21 to April 20.
- Legislators are scored on "how supportive they are of Alaska’s private business sector."
Higgins is married and has five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Pete + Higgins + Alaska + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alaska State Legislature
- Alaska House of Representatives
- Alaska House Committees
- Alaska House of Representatives District 5
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2012
- newsminer.com, "Wool steps in as Democratic candidate in House District 5 race," August 20, 2014
- Alaska Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed June 4, 2014
- Alaska Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed August 20, 2014
- Alaska Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed September 11, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidate List," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Election Division, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Alaska Election Division, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed March 12, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Higgins, Pete," accessed August 1, 2013
- Alaska Business Report Card, "About ABRC," accessed September 11, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed March 12, 2014
|Alaska House of Representatives District 5
| Succeeded by|