|Rhode Island House of Representatives District 7|
|2011 - Present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Rhode Island College|
|Master's||Rhode Island College|
|Birthday||August 26, 1976|
Cimini earned her B.A. in Political Science and her M.S.W. from Rhode Island College. Her professional experience includes working as a research associate for the University of Rhode Island and as a coordinator for Feinstein Center for a Hunger Free America.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Cimini served on the following committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health, Education and Welfare, Secretary|
|• Environment and Natural Resources|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Cimini served on these committees:
|Rhode Island Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Environment and Natural Resources|
|• Health, Education and Welfare|
Cimini's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "State policy should affirm all Rhode Islanders regardless of social class, immigration status, sexual orientation/gender identity, or religious affiliation. Maria will work to ensure that all Rhode Islanders have their basic needs met: a roof over their head, healthy food on the table, and quality affordable healthcare."
- Excerpt: "Schools have a responsibility to develop the next generation of leaders, not test takers. Rhode Island needs a statewide school funding formula to ensure that all children have equitable access to high quality education. Schools must support young people not only academically but also by being safe places for social emotional growth both during the school day and after school time."
- Excerpt: "Like the federal investment in our national parks, Rhode Island must invest in our green space. Maria supports policies fostering and maintaining bicycle paths and walking trails throughout our state. In addition, Maria believes that public transportation is an area for growth and can revitalize our community."
- Excerpt: "Access to living/fair wage jobs is crucial to the prosperity of all Rhode Islanders, particularly now. The State has an obligation to foster job creation and a diverse economy through its economic policy. The General Assembly must play its part."
Elections for the office of Rhode Island House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on September 9, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Daniel McKiernan defeated incumbent Maria Cimini in the Democratic primary. Scott Darby (I) was removed from the ballot before the primary. McKiernan was unchallenged in the general election.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 7 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Maria Cimini Incumbent||46.5%||933|
Cimini won re-election in the 2012 election for Rhode Island House of Representatives District 7. Cimini was unopposed in the September 11 Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 7, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Maria Cimini Incumbent||98%||3,366|
|Rhode Island House District 7|
|Maria Cimini (D)||2773|
Comprehensive donor information for Maria Cimini is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Maria Cimini raised a total of $24,420 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 31, 2013.
|Maria Cimini's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 7||$5,396|
|2010||Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 7||$19,024|
|Grand Total Raised||$24,420|
2012Maria Cimini won re-election to the Rhode Island House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Maria Cimini raised a total of $5,396.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Maria Cimini's campaign in 2012|
|American Association of University Professors||$500|
|Rhode Island Alliance Service Employees Local 580||$200|
|Gorman, Kathleen S||$200|
|Ryan, Thomas J||$200|
|Total Raised in 2012||$5,396|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Maria Cimini won election to the Rhode Island House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Maria Cimini raised a total of $19,024.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Maria Cimini's campaign in 2010|
|Noble, David L||$1,492|
|National Education Association Rhode Island||$500|
|Friends of Chris Fierro||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$19,024|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Rhode Island: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills related to civil liberties.
- Common Cause: 2013-2014 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2013 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
- National Federation of Independent Business in New York: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Environment Council of Rhode Island: 2011-2012 Green Report Card
- Legislators were scored based on 14 pieces of legislation, ranging from matters on clean water, to state energy policies.
- Common Cause: 2011-2012 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators were scored based on votes on government reform.
- Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity: 2012 Session Freedom Index
- Legislators were scored based on their votes on bills deemed to have an effect on free-market, small-government, or constitutional principles.
Cimini and her husband, Jay, have one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Maria + Cimini + Rhode + Island + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- Profile from the Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012 2010
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Rep. Maria Cimini," accessed June 10, 2014
- mariacimini.com, "Issues," accessed August 6, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Representative in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "2014 Statewide Primary Results: Representative in General Assembly," accessed September 26, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Official 2014 general election results," accessed December 4, 2014
- Candidates in Upcoming Elections, "Rhode Island Secretary of State," accessed July 10, 2012
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2012 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2010 Statewide Primary Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- State of Rhode Island Board of Elections, "2010 Statewide General Election Results," accessed June 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Cimini, Maria," accessed July 31, 2013
Joanne Giannini (D)
|Rhode Island House of Representatives - District 7
| Succeeded by|