|West Virginia House of Delegates, District 63|
|December 1, 2012 – present|
|December 1, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$131/day during session|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Hedgesville High, 1987|
|Bachelor's||Shepherd College, 1992|
|Master's||West Virginia University, 1994|
Folk attended Hedgesville High School and Shepherd College before completing a Master's degree at West Virginia University in 1994. Folk's professional experience includes working at his father's agricultural aviation business, teacher for Berkeley County, materials management supervisor at Mack Trucks, and pilot.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Folk served on the following committees:
|West Virginia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government Organization|
|• Political Subdivisions|
|• Agriculture and Agri-business|
|• Joint Government Organization|
Folk's website highlights the following campaign themes:
|“||My platform is quite simple regarding any legislation:
Is it Constitutional?
Can we afford it?
Does it promote Accountability? Either Personal or Governmental?
If the answer to these questions is yes, my vote is yes!
Elections for the office of West Virginia House of Delegates will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 13, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 25, 2014. Incumbent Michael Folk was unopposed in the Republican primary. Folk will face Heather Marshall (D) in the general election. Marshall replaced her husband, Donn Marshall, in the race after he accepted a job with the U.S. Department of Defense.
Folk won election in the 2012 election for West Virginia House of Delegates, District 63. Folk defeated Pam Brush in the May 8 primary election and defeated Donn Marshall in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|West Virginia House of Delegates, District 63, General Election, 2012|
|West Virginia House of Delegates, District 63 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Folk is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Folk raised a total of $22,113 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 31, 2013.
|Michael Folk's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||West Virginia State House, District 63||$22,113|
|Grand Total Raised||$22,113|
2012Folk won election to the West Virginia House of Delegates in 2012. During that election cycle, Folk raised a total of $22,113.
|West Virginia House of Delegates 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Michael Folk's campaign in 2012|
|Folk, Michael (Mike)||$4,600|
|Folk, George W||$1,000|
|Eastern Panhandle Business Association||$900|
|West Virginia Bankers Association||$600|
|Total Raised in 2012||$22,113|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Folk and his wife, Stella, have four children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the West Virginia State Legislature was in session from January 8 through March 10.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michael + Folk + West + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia State Legislature
- West Virginia House of Delegates
- West Virginia House Committees
- West Virginia Joint Committees
- West Virginia state legislative districts
- Delegate Office Website
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Michael Folk on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- folk4wv.com, "My Platform," accessed August 29, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Herald-Mail Media, "Heather Marshall to run for District 63 in W.Va. House of Delegates," April 23, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Candidate Search," accessed July 18, 2014
- WBOY.com, "West Virginia General Election Results November 6, 2012," accessed November 7, 2012
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - General Election - November 6, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - Primary Election - May 8, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Folk, Michael (Mike)," accessed July 31, 2013
State of West Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Schools | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |