|California State Assembly District 49|
|December 3, 2012-present|
|December 1, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||12 years|
|Montebello School Board|
|Bachelor's||University of Southern California|
|J.D.||Southwestern University School of Law|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Chau served on the following committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking and Finance|
|• Housing and Community Development|
|• Labor and Employment|
|• Joint Rules|
Chau's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Education is the key to creating and sustaining long-lasting economic growth. Our teachers, counselors, school nurses, librarians, and school employees are toiling in the front line every single day to make sure that California’s students receive the best education possible to compete in the world’s economy: they help rebuild our economy from the bottom-up."
- Jobs & Economy
- Excerpt: "As our state recovers from the toughest economic crisis since Depression, revitalizing our economy and improving our education system will be my top priority. In order to put California back on track, we must both protect our existing jobs and businesses and invest in education for our youth: the key to long-lasting economic revitalization."
- Excerpt: "California is home to world-renowned beaches, mountains, and forests. As we work to rebuild our economy, we must think green and act green to create green jobs, invest in alternative energy, and preserve our natural resources."
- Consumer Rights
- Excerpt: "As a lawyer, I have been fighting for fairness and equality for everyday Californians in consumer protection, personal injury, immigration, and landlord-tenant disputes. As an Assembly Member, I will stand up for the most vulnerable Californians and be their voice in Sacramento."
- Public Safety
- Excerpt: "Our law enforcement officers risk their lives and work tirelessly in keeping our neighborhoods safe and bringing perpetrators of law to justice. As a longtime attorney and Judge Pro Tem, I have worked through our justice system to stand up for justice and fairness for everyday Californians."
Chau won election in the 2012 election for California State Assembly District 49. He advanced past the blanket primary on June 5, 2012, defeating Mitchell Ing (D). Chau defeated Matthew Lin (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|California State Assembly, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Edwin "Ed" Chau||56.4%||64,791|
|California State Assembly, District 49 Blanket Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Chau is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Chau raised a total of $1,560,663 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 14, 2013.
|Edwin Chau's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||California State Assembly, District 49||$1,560,663|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,560,663|
2012Chau won election to the California State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Chau raised a total of $1,560,663.
|California State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Edwin Chau's campaign in 2012|
|California Democratic Party||$204,504|
|Los Angeles County Democratic Central Committee||$178,824|
|Sacramento County Democratic Central Committee||$120,000|
|Stanislaus County Democratic Central Committee||$50,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$1,560,663|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2012, Chau's endorsements included the following:
- Judy Chu, U.S. Representative
- Grace Napolitano, U.S. Representative
- Lucille Roybal-Allard, U.S. Representative
- John Perez, Speaker of the Assembly
- John Chiang, State Controller
- Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Dave Jones, State Insurance Commissioner
- Betty Yee, State Board of Equalization Member
- Kevin De Leon, State senator
- Ed Hernandez, State senator
- Ted Lieu, State senator
- Carol Liu, State senator
- Fiona Ma, Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore
- Charles Calderon, Assembly Majority Leader
- Toni Atkins, Assembly Majority Whip
- Roger Hernandez, Assembly Assistant Majority Whip
- Luis Alejo, Assemblymember
- James Beall Jr., Assemblymember
- Bob Blumenfield, Assemblymember
- Susan Bonilla, Assemblymember
- Julia Brownley, Assemblymember
- Mike Eng, Assemblymember
- Warren Furutani, Assemblymember
- Paul Fong, Assemblymember
- Richard Gordon, Assemblymember
- Norma Torres, Assemblymember
- Mariko Yamada, Assemblymember
- Das Williams, Assemblymember
- Walter Karabian, Former Assembly Majority Leader
Ed and his wife, Candice, have one daughter.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Edwin + Chau + California + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- California State Assembly - Edwin Chau
- Twitter account
- Flickr account
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Pasadenastarnews.com, "Race heats up in San Gabriel Valley's Asian Assembly District," September 3, 2011
- edchau.com, "Issues," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 13, 2014
- "Follow the Money", "Chau, Edwin", Accessed September 14, 2013
- Edwin Chau "Endorsements" Accessed October 10, 2012
Mike Eng (D)
|California State Assembly District 49
| Succeeded by|