|Nevada State Assembly, District 20|
|February 4, 2013 - present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Per diem||$152/per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Term limits||6 terms (12 years)|
|Nevada Assembly, District 21|
Spiegel earned her B.S. from Cornell University. Her professional experience includes working as a business owner and consultant.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Spiegel served on the following committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Health and Human Services, Vice Chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Spiegel served on the following committees:
|Nevada Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Government Affairs|
|• Health and Human Services|
Spiegel's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Education: "...Today, Ellen is interested in ensuring that our schools are funded equitably and increasing transparency associated with school funding -- at every level in the K-16 system."
Economy: "Ellen was in Henderson on 9/11/01 and remembers the aftermath. 'Tourism stopped completely. I remember walking into the MGM to buy show tickets and being the only customer in the lobby. Those days, there was no traffic on the strip, and our economy was dying. It was one of the eeriest experiences I've ever had, and I was apprehensive about our recovery. This told me that our long-term economic success requires our attracting additional businesses and industries. We can and must do this in a way that strengthens our current businesses.'"
Traffic: "...Traffic threatens our quality of life and also has a negative impact on tourism. We have an estimated $3.8 Billion shortfall in highway construction funds. Ellen Barre Spiegel says, 'As we continue to grow our population and increase tourism, we must develop, fund and implement a comprehensive transportation plan. We cannot afford to ignore this issue.'"
Housing/mortgage crisis: "Ellen feels that homeowners who are facing foreclosure on homes that they occupy should be given assistance, and she supports expansion of programs for first time and second chance homeowners. She also feels that people who take advantage of these programs should be required to repay the state at some point in the future, either when they refinance or when they sell the home so that the state can recoup its investment and have money to continue these programs in the future...."
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Nevada State Assembly took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 10, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Ellen Spiegel ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Carol Linton was unopposed in the Republican primary. Spiegel defeated Linton in the general election.
|Nevada State Assembly District 20, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Ellen Spiegel Incumbent||54.3%||5,664|
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2012
Spiegel won election in the 2012 election for Nevada State Assembly, District 20. Spiegel defeated Gloria Bonaventura and Kent L. Ivey in the June 12 primary election and defeated Eric Mendoza (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Nevada State Assembly, District 20, General Election, 2012|
|Nevada State Assembly, District 20 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Kent L. Ivey||21%||378|
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2010
Spiegel was defeated by Mark Sherwood in the November 2, 2010, general election. Spiegel did not have any opposition in the June 8 primary.
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2008
Spiegel raised $138,928 for her campaign.
|Nevada State Assembly, District 21 (2008)|
|Ellen Spiegel (D)||10,719||50.87%|
Comprehensive donor information for Spiegel is available dating back to 2008. Based on available campaign finance records, Spiegel raised a total of $439,378 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 25, 2013.
|Ellen Spiegel's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Nevada State Assembly, District 20||$117,340|
|2010||Nevada State Assembly, District 21||$183,110|
|2008||Nevada State Assembly, District 21||$138,928|
|Grand Total Raised||$439,378|
2012Spiegel won election to the Nevada State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Spiegel raised a total of $117,340.
|Nevada State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ellen Spiegel's campaign in 2012|
|Nevada State Education Association||$8,500|
|Terra West Collections Group LLC d/b/a Assessment Management Services||$5,000|
|Clark County Education Association||$5,000|
|Southwest Regional Council Of Carpenters||$4,220|
|Total Raised in 2012||$117,340|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Spiegel lost the election for the Nevada State Assembly in 2010. During that election cycle, Spiegel raised a total of $183,110.
|Nevada State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ellen Spiegel's campaign in 2010|
|Clark County Education Association||$10,000|
|Nevada State Education Association||$10,000|
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 525||$9,938|
|John Oceguera Campaign Account||$7,500|
|Electrical Workers Local 357||$5,014|
|Total Raised in 2010||$183,110|
2008Spiegel won election to the Nevada State Assembly in 2008. During that election cycle, Spiegel raised a total of $138,928.
|Nevada State Assembly 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ellen Spiegel's campaign in 2008|
|Clark County Education Association||$10,000|
|Nevada State AFL-CIO||$8,605|
|Nevada State Education Association||$7,500|
|Electrical Workers Local 357||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2008||$138,928|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Citizen Outreach: Ratings for the 2013 Nevada Legislature
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills dealing with government regulations, taxes/fees and individual liberty. Citizen Outreach selected 22 Assembly bills and 32 Senate bills to analyze for its scorecard.
- The American Conservative Union: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key conservative issues.
- Nevada Policy Research Institute: The 2013 Nevada Legislative Session Review & Report Card
- Legislators are scored on their voting record concerning economic freedom and education reform.
- Nevada Conservation League: 2013 Legislative Scorecard
- Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada: Facing Race – 2013 Legislative Report Card on Racial Equity
- Legislators are scored on their votes on education equity, economic equity, health equity and civil rights.
Spiegel has a husband, Bill.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ellen + Spiegel + Nevada + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Nevada State Assembly
- Profile from Open States
- Ellen Spiegel on Facebook
- Ellen Spiegel on Twitter
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008
- Ellen Spiegel for Nevada Assembly District 20, "Issues," accessed October 22, 2012
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2014 filed candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- Clark County, "Candidate filing," accessed April 8, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Nevada Primary Election 2014," accessed June 10, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 6, 2014
- Clark County, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 6, 2014
- Washoe County, "2012 General Election candidates," accessed May 5, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Official Results of the 2012 Primary Election," accessed April 23, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2008 General Election Results," accessed May 5, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 campaign contributions," accessed May 6, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Spiegel, Ellen," accessed June 25, 2013
- Nevada State Legislature, "Session Information," accessed July 3, 2014
Cresent Hardy (R)
|Nevada State Assembly District 20
| Succeeded by|
|Nevada State Assembly District 21
| Succeeded by|
Mark Sherwood (R)