Florida 2008 ballot measures
- One measure appeared on the January 29 ballot, while six were on the ballot on November 4.
- One was an initiative, two were legislative referral and four were commission referrals.
- A total of five measures were approved, while two were defeated.
On the ballot
|Amendment 1||Taxes||Provides portability to the Save Our Homes property tax cap||
|Amendment 1||Immigration||Deletes provisions authorizing Legislature to regulate or prohibit real estate transactions of aliens ineligible for citizenship||
|Amendment 2||Marriage||Definse marriage as the union of one man and one woman, husband and wife, no other union is valid or recognized||
|CR||Amendment 3||Taxes||Excludes certain improvements from being considered in property value assessment for taxation purposes||
|CR||Amendment 4||Taxes||Provides property tax exemptions for lands that fall under conservation laws||
|CR||Amendment 6||Taxes||Bases tax assessment of waterfront property on current use||
|CR||Amendment 8||Taxes||Authorizes counties to levy local option sales taxes for community college funding, subject to voter approval.||
Not on the ballot
|CR||Amendment 5||Taxes||Cut property taxes by average 25%, eliminate property taxes that school districts are required to levy in order to get state aid||Removed|
|CR||Amendment 7||Taxes||Eliminates the ban in Florida's constitution against sending state tax money to religious institutions.||Removed|
|CR||Amendment 9||Education||Requires that at least 65% of school funds be spent on classroom instruction.||Removed|
- Through 2008, there were 24 initiatives on the ballot since the process began in 1978, in addition to legislatively-referred ballot measures.
- Of those 24, 20 were approved by voters.
- Floridians passed Amendment 3 in 2006, which requires that for any initiative, legislative referral or commission referral to pass, it must earn the approval of 60% of the state's voters.
- Florida voters have approved a higher percentage of their statewide ballot measures than voters in any other state.
- For information on other citizen initiatives that attempted but failed to make the ballot, see Florida 2008 citizen initiatives.
- Florida ballot initiative news
- List of Florida ballot measures
- Florida Division of Elections: List of Initiatives
- Florida Division of Elections: 2008 Proposed Constitutional Amendments
- Florida Division of Elections: List of Initiatives: 1978-2008