Georgia House of Representatives District 55
|Georgia House of Representatives District 55|
|Current incumbent||Tyrone Brooks, Sr.|
|Ethnicity||60.6% Black, 3.1% Hispanic|
|Voting age||82.3% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 40,898 civilians reside within Georgia's fifty-fifth state house district. Georgia state representatives represent an average of 53,820 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 48,980 residents.
About the chamber
Paragraph 3 of Section 2 of Article 3 of the Georgia Constitution states, "At the time of their election, the members of the House of Representatives shall be citizens of the United States, shall be at least 21 years of age, shall have been citizens of this state for at least two years, and shall have been legal residents of the territory embraced within the district from which elected for at least one year."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Georgia legislature are paid $17,342/year plus $173/day for per diem when in session.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the vacant seat must be filled by a special election. The Governor must declare a special election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. The election must be held no less than 30 days and no later than 60 days after the Governor calls for the election. The counties representing the vacant district are responsible for conducting the election.
Elections for the office of Georgia House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 20, 2014, with runoff elections taking place where necessary on July 22, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Tyrone Brooks was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
Elections for the office of Georgia House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on July 31, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 25, 2012. Incumbent Tyrone Brooks, Sr. (D) was unopposed in both the general election and Democratic primary.
|Georgia House of Representatives, District 55, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Tyrone Brooks Incumbent||100%||22,464|
Since 2004, candidates for Georgia House of Representatives District 55 have raised a total of $152,281. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $21,754 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Georgia House of Representatives District 55|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Georgia 2010 Census Statistics," accessed September 25, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Lexis Nexis, "The Code of Georgia," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 21-2-544, Search for 21-2-544 under Table of Contents)
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Elections Division, "2012 Election Results" accessed November 16, 2012
State of Georgia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | State Superintendent of Schools | Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |