Oregon Nuclear Missile Freeze, Measure 5 (1982)
The Oregon Nuclear Missile Freeze Act, also known as Measure 5, was on the November 2, 1982 ballot in Oregon as an initiated state statute, where it was approved. The measure sent a message from the “People of Oregon” to the President of the United States, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State and Congress to develop an agreement to halt “the testing, production, and further deployment of nuclear weapons” between the United States and Soviet Union.
|Oregon Measure 5 (1982)|
Election results via: Oregon Blue Book
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
5. PEOPLE OF OREGON URGE MUTUAL FREEZE ON NUCLEAR WEAPONS DEVELOPMENT
PURPOSE - Measure directs that the President of the United States, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State and all members of Congress be told that the People of Oregon urge the United States to propose to the Soviet Union “that both countries agree to immediately halt the testing, production, and further deployment of all nuclear weapons, missiles, and delivery systems in a way that can be checked and verified by both sides.” Governor to send written message.
NO □ 
- Oregon 1982 ballot measures
- 1982 ballot measures
- List of Oregon ballot measures
- History of Initiative & Referendum in Oregon
- Oregon Blue Book Initiative, Referendum and Recall: 1980-1987
- Oregon State Constitution
- State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet November 1982
- Oregon State Library, "State of Oregon Official Voters' Pamphlet," accessed December 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Oregon
List of Oregon ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Administrator of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Fish and Wildlife | Commissioner of Labor and Industries | Commissioner of Public Utilities |