|South Dakota House District 7|
|2011 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||4 terms (8 years)|
Hawley earned his bachelor's degree in Political Science and Economics from South Dakota State University.
Hawley served for 30 years in the South Dakota Army National Guard and in 2000 was promoted to Colonel. He began his career in the insurance industry as an agent for the Jim Long & Associates Agency of Brookings and Huron. He later bought the agency in 1989. He has served on the Brookings City Board of Appeals and was appointed by the governor to sit on the South Dakota Game, Fish, and Parks Commission in 2003.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hawley served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Joint Appropriations|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Hawley served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Commerce and Energy|
|• Health and Human Services|
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Incumbent Spencer Hawley and Steven Binkley were unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Scott Munsterman was unopposed in the Republican primary. Hawley will face Binkley and Munsterman in the general election.
Hawley won re-election in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 7. Hawley ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5 and won re-election in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|South Dakota State House, District 7 (2010)|
|Scott Munsterman (R)||4,925||34.41%|
|Spencer Hawley (D)||4,038||28.22%|
|Michael D. Bartley (R)||3,194||22.32%|
|Harold W. Widvey (D)||2,154||15.05%|
Comprehensive donor information for Spencer Hawley is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Spencer Hawley raised a total of $28,734 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Spencer Hawley's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota House of Representatives , District 7||$14,490|
|2010||South Dakota House of Representatives , District 7||$14,244|
|Grand Total Raised||$28,734|
2012Spencer Hawley won re-election to the South Dakota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Spencer Hawley raised a total of $14,490.
|South Dakota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Spencer Hawley's campaign in 2012|
|Brookings County Democrats||$1,200|
|South Dakota Retailers Association Pac||$500|
|South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations Pac||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$14,490|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Hawley raised $14,244 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Brookings County Democrats||$1,000|
|South Dakota Education Association||$1,000|
Hawley and his wife Barbara Ann have four children, Ryan, Shari, Jay, and Aaron, as well as three grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Spencer + Hawley + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota House of Representatives
- South Dakota House Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota House of Representatives District 7
- Hawley for House
- House website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election Unofficial Results," accessed June 3, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota State Board of Elections, "South Dakota House of Representatives Official General Election Results, 2010," accessed March 10, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Hawley, Spencer," accessed September 26, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Spencer Hawley for House of Representatives, "Bio," accessed March 10, 2014
Larry Tidemann (R) Carol Pitts (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 7
| Succeeded by|