|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Westra served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Commerce and Energy|
|• Health and Human Services|
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Kay Wilds was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbents Mark Mickelson and Steve Westra were unopposed in the Republican primary. Wilds will face Mickelson and Westra in the general election.
Westra won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 13. Westra and G. Mark Mickelson defeated Frank Alvine in the Republican primary on June 5. Jesse Vavreck and incumbent Susan Blake ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, but withdrew prior to the general election. Westra and Mickelson were unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Brian Liss (R) did not run for re-election.
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13 Republican Primary, 2012|
|G. Mark Mickelson||53.6%||2,063|
Comprehensive donor information for Steve Westra is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Steve Westra raised a total of $17,080 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Steve Westra's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 13||$17,080|
|Grand Total Raised||$17,080|
2012Steve Westra won election to the South Dakota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Steve Westra raised a total of $17,080.
|South Dakota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Steve Westra's campaign in 2012|
|Peter Norbeck Pac||$1,000|
|Hegg, Pete & Marilyn||$1,000|
|Everist, Tom & Barb||$1,000|
|South Dakota Corn Growers Association||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$17,080|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Steve + Westra + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota House of Representatives
- South Dakota House Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota House of Representatives District 13
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election Unofficial Results," accessed June 3, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 25, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Westra, Steve," accessed September 26, 2013
[Brian Liss]] (R)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13
| Succeeded by|