For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Nebraska Legislative Salary Amendment, Amendment 4 (2012)
The Nebraska Legislative Salary Amendment, also known as Amendment 4, was on the November 6, 2012 ballot in Nebraska as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was defeated. The proposed measure would have raised state legislative salaries to $22,500 a year, effective January 9, 2013 if approved. As of 2012, lawmakers made $12,000 a year.
It was estimated that the increase would have cost the state about $980,000 for a year for senators' base pay.
The proposal was introduced by Sen. Scott Lautenbaugh.
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
|Nebraska Amendment 4|
- Official results are from the Nebraska Secretary of State.
Text of measure
The official ballot text read as follows:
Proposed Amendment No. 4
A vote FOR this constitutional amendment would increase the salary for members of the Legislature from twelve thousand dollars per year to twenty-two thousand five hundred dollars per year, beginning January 2013.
A vote AGAINST this constitutional amendment would result in no change in the salary for members of the Legislature.
A constitutional amendment to change the salary of members of the Legislature to twenty-two thousand five hundred dollars.
No formal support was identified.
No formal opposition was identified.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Nebraska State Constitution
In order to qualify a proposed measure to the statewide ballot, 60% of the members of the Nebraska State Legislature must vote in approval.
- Associated Press, "Lawmaker proposes ballot measure to raise Nebraska lawmaker salaries to $32,000 per year," January 10, 2012
- McCook Daily Gazette, "Higher legislative salaries would be worth investment," January 12, 2012
- Nebraska Secretary of State, "Ballot measure 3," accessed September 28, 2012
- Nebraska Watchdog, "Legislative Pay Raise Gets First-Round Approval," March 5, 2012
- NebraskaWatchdog.org, "Voters to decide whether lawmakers get paid more and serve longer," April 4, 2012
- Bill status, retrieved on April 4, 2012