Thomas "Thom" Goolsby
|North Carolina State Senate District 9|
| January 26, 2011 - Present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position ||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Master's||Golden Gate University|
|J.D.||University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Place of birth||Dothan, Alabama|
is a Republican
member of the North Carolina State Senate
, representing District 9. He was first elected to the chamber in 2010.
Goolsby completed his B.B.A. at the Citadel. He earned an M.B.A. from Golden Gate University and his J.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Goolsby is a partner at the Goolsby Law Firm and teaches law at Campbell University. He served in the United States Marine Corps. 
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Goolsby served on the following committees:
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Goolsby served on these committees:
Goolsby's Website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Sen. Goolsby wants a balanced budget and pro-growth policies that allow our state’s vibrant private sector to create new commerce opportunities for New Hanover County. To change the state’s business climate he cut taxes and spending to ease regulations and encourage investment from the business community."
- Excerpt: "Sen. Goolsby protects residents wary of funding a system that only serves the dollar. Opposing tax, tuition and fee increases relieves pressure on the private sector and creates a dialogue on the responsible role of government."
- Excerpt: "Sen. Goolsby is a staunch advocate for charter schools and homeschooling. He believes competition benefits the state’s learning environment and gives families this important choice for their children. He protects the rights of special needs students to reach their potential and supports the requirement that Pre-K funding help low income families first."
- Excerpt: "The recent costs of Medicare reforms, Medicaid IT and state exchange structures in North Carolina preview disastrous outcomes for the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act."
- Excerpt: "Sen. Goolsby is a former Counsel to the State Crime Commission and co-chairs both the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee on Justice and Public Safety and the Appropriations on Justice and Public Safety committee."
- See also: North Carolina State Senate elections, 2012
Goolsby ran unopposed in the Republican primary on May 8. He defeated Deb Butler (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina State Senate, District 9, General Election, 2012
||Thomas Goolsby Incumbent
|| Deb Butler
- See also: North Carolina State Senate elections, 2010
Goolsby won the race for District 9 of the North Carolina State Senate in the November 2 general election. He defeated James Leutze (D).
| North Carolina Senate, General Election Results, District 9 (2010)
| Thomas Goolsby (R)
| Jim Leutze (D)
In polling from the John W. Pope Civitas prior to the election, Goolsby held a significant lead over Leutze. Both candidates campaigned on the need to cut state spending and control taxes.
| North Carolina State Senate Republican Primary, District 9 (2010)
| Thomas Goolsby
| Michael Lee
Comprehensive donor information for Goolsby is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Goolsby raised a total of $922,135 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 28, 2013.
Goolsby won re-election to the North Carolina State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Goolsby raised a total of $527,547
|North Carolina State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Thom Goolsby's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Republican Party||$177,942|
|Graham, Shari M||$8,000|
|Graham, William M||$8,000|
|Bender II, Neil C||$8,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$527,547|
|Source:Follow the Money
Goolsby and his wife, Rachael, have three children. They currently reside in Wilmington, North Carolina.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Thom + Goolsby + North + Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
| Political offices
Julia Boseman (D)
|North Carolina State Senate District 9
| Succeeded by|