Ohio elections, 2012
|1 2012 Elections|
|2 Eligibility to Vote|
|2.1 Primary election|
|2.2 General election|
|3 Voting absentee|
|3.3 Military and overseas voting|
|4 Voting early|
|5 See also|
The state of Ohio held elections in 2012. Below are the dates of note:
- Signature filing deadline: December 7, 2011 & July 4, 2012 (Measures only)
- Primary date: March 6, 2012
- General election date: November 6, 2012
|On the 2012 ballot|| Click here for all |
November 6, 2012
|U.S. Senate (1 seat)||Preview Article|
|U.S. House (16 seats)|
|State Senate (17 seats)||Preview Article|
|State House (99 seats)|
|Ballot measures (2 measures)||-|
For election results in the 50 states, see our November 6, 2012 election results page
Elections by type
|U.S. Senate, Ohio General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Sherrod Brown Incumbent||50.7%||2,762,690|
|Source: Ohio Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|Members of the U.S. House from Ohio -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2012||After the 2012 Election|
- See also: Ohio 2012 ballot measures
|ABR||Issue 1||Constitutional convention||Would create a convention to revise, alter or amend the state constitution.|
|Issue 2||Redistricting||Would create a citizen commission to draw legislative and congressional district maps.|
For the state of Ohio, below is a glimpse of some of the local measures that appeared or were scheduled to appear on ballots in 2012.
- Clark County Board of Developmental Disabilities Tax Levy Question (November 2012)
- Greenon Local School District Income Tax Question (November 2012)
- Clark Shawnee Local School District Renewal Question (November 2012)
- Springfield Township Roads Tax Levy Increase Question (November 2012)
- Springfield Township EMS Tax Levy Renewal Question (November 2012)
- Pleasant Township Tax Levy Renewal Question (November 2012)
- Pike Township Fire Tax Levy Renewal Question (November 2012)
- Pike Township Roads Tax Levy Renewal Questions, 2 (November 2012)
- Moorefield Township Fire Tax Levy Increase Question (November 2012)
- Moorefield Township Roads Tax Levy Increase Question (November 2012)
Eligibility to Vote
- See also: Voting in the 2012 primary elections
Ohio had a mixed primary system. Primary voters were required to vote in the same party's primary as they did in the previous election, although this requirement was in some cases loosely enforced. Voters wishing to switch parties could register with the new party. Ohio's 2012 congressional primary took place on March 6, 2012. (Information about registering to vote)
- See also: Voting in the 2012 general elections
The deadline to register to vote was 28 days prior to the election day, which in 2012 was October 9.
Note: Some states had a voter registration deadline 30 days prior to the election but because this could have fallen on a weekend and Columbus Day was on Monday, October 8th, some extended the deadline to October 9, 2012.
- Voter ID info
- Residency requirements: Resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before the election.
- Same-day registration: None
- See also: Absentee Voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Ohio. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
Absentee ballots may be requested for each individual election beginning on January 1 or 90 days before the date of an election, whichever is earlier. The request must be received by the local county board of elections by noon the third day before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be postmarked at least one day before Election Day and received by the elections board no later than 10 days after the election.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Ohio is one of 33 states (plus the District of Columbia) that permit some form of early voting. Early voting begins 29 days before an election and ends the day prior to Election Day.
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Voter Registration" accessed April 22, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2012 Election Calendar" accessed May 8, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Voter Eligibility" accessed May 8, 2012
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Voting Absentee by Mail," accessed December 16, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Voting Early in Person," accessed December 16, 2013