|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Commissioner of Will County|
|J.D.||DePaul University College of Law|
She currently serves as Commissioner of Will County.
McDermed earned her J.D. from DePaul University College of Law. Her professional experience includes working in the law department for the Amoco Corporation and British Petroleum.
McDermed's official website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "We need to reform the way schools are funded in Illinois. I will be a strong and determined voice for our children and our schools when I am in Springfield. I have 2 grown children who attended our local public elementary and high schools. Both were National Merit winners who went on to the colleges of their choice and to work in the fields they chose. So I know first hand the importance of excellent, local schools. I want this same quality education to be there for the next generation of young people here in our towns and I will work for that every day I am in the Illinois House."
- Excerpt: "There are so many things Illinois can do better to keep those jobs from fleeing our state at the current rate. Let’s not just reverse the flight, let’s add jobs.So how will I work to do that? Vote against retaining the temporary 67% increase in the state income tax. It’s been documented over and over that high tax rates drive down job creation."
- Excerpt: "What else will I do? We absolutely need to reform workers’ compensation laws. Illinois has one of the 3 highest Workers’ Comp costs in the country. Everyone who is injured on the job needs to be made whole and abuse of the system and bureaucracy is preventing that from happening in Illinois. It is time for true reform of Workers’ Comp laws, not just some more window dressing."
- Excerpt: "What else will I do to make sure Illinois retains and adds jobs? Illinois needs to reward small businesses, not just the big cats. It’s no secret that small firms, growing rapidly create 100% of new jobs. I will be a loud and determined voice for making sure Illinois tax and business policy does not penalize the true job creators, our small and growing businesses."
- Excerpt: I believe that in order to break Illinois’ downward, tax/spend spiral we need to cut spending by:
- prioritizing needs
- spending only what we have
- cutting fraud and waste.
- Excerpt: "We need to let the temporary tax increase sunset on schedule. By reducing personal and corporate tax rates we can stem the outflow of workers and jobs. The tax expiration will encourage business expansion and we can further improve the business climate with regulatory reform, including reform of Workers’ Compensation laws."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Nichole Serbin defeated August (O'Neill) Deuser in the Democratic primary, while Margo McDermed defeated Gayla Smith and Arthur Lukowski in the Republican primary. Serbin and McDermed will face off in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|August (O'Neill) Deuser||39.6%||709|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37 Republican Primary, 2014|
- The Illinois Observer
- State Representative Renee Kosel
- Mayor Tim Balderman, New Lenox
- Mayor Jim Holland, Frankfort
- Mayor Frank Fleischer, Mokena
- Jim Moustis, Frankfort Twp. Supervisor
- Frankfort Township Republican Organization
- Homer Township Republican Organization
- Orland Township Republican Organization
- County Board Member, Mike Fricilone
- County Board Member, Steve Balich
- County board Member, Dave Izzo
McDermed and her husband, Edward, have two children. They reside in Mokena, Il.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Margo + McDermed + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website, "Margo McDermed," accessed February 14, 2014
- Official campaign website, "On the issues," accessed February 14, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- www.illinoisobserver.net, "Illinois House and Senate 2014 Primary Endorsements Part I,” accessed February 26, 2014
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |