For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Former candidate for|
|U.S. House, Florida, District 3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Wheeler's campaign website listed the following issues:
—Mrihelen Wheeler's campaign website, http://wheelerforflorida3.com/issues/
Raising the Minimum Wage
"As our young people are trying to get out into the workplace and establish their own retirement investments, they need to be able to pay for their current living with adequate wages. Many of our college graduates are unable to find work and must pay off student loans at the same time they are trying to make monthly expenses. Retirees realizing their income is not enough, must supplement with jobs that were heretofore left for high school age students. The job market is what feeds the consumer market and wages must be adjusted to accommodate the current social structure."
Women’s Health and Equality
"With so many concerned about the overreach of government, it is astounding that our legislators spend so much time discussing issues of womens’ health. It is absolutely none of anyone’s business but the woman in question. After all these decades, it is shameful that the ERA has never been ratified and that women still must fight for equal pay. With so many issues that affect the greater good of us all, our government needs to stop interfering with the business of private families and spend more time on the business of government."
"All of the issues outlined about have to do with the working middle class family. There are social issues that impact households all over the country. Often these issues are not the ones being addressed in Washington. The working family is who keeps the country moving and the economic gap is widening every year in such a way that even hard working Floridians struggle to maintain a standard of living they deserve for all their efforts. Corporations thrive at the expense of those taxed from the middle class. These working familes take pride in the fact they don’t need government assistance, i.e. health care, unemployment, public assistance and work themselves to exhaustion trying to avoid such things. What they fail to remember, is that they have already paid upfront for those things and that if they or any member of their family need this kind of assistance, it has already been taken care of through their tax monies. It’s our money and it is not shameful to take it when needed."
"This must be reintegrated into the public school curriculum. The focus must shift to preparing our young people to contribute to their families and their communities. The trades need to be encouraged as those professions are the ones that are responsible for maintaining the infrastructure of our communities."
Water and Land Conservation
"Water and Land conservation are no longer just local issues of concern. With water shortages and water quality concerns from industrial and agricultural waste, these issues are regional and national, if not international. Local activism is required to make certain that the land is tended properly and the water supply maintained for quality use."
Caring for our Veterans
"Veterans made a promise to this country when they put on their uniforms. This country made a promise to honor and respect that commitment by taking care of them and their families. No veteran should ever worry that their sacrifice is not respected and should expect a compassionate homeland to welcome them back.Their needs include: housing, work, medical and psychological services and support from the local communities to see that those needs are offered to the entire family of those enlisted men and women."
Wheeler ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Florida's 3rd District. Wheeler ran unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the primary. She was defeated by incumbent Ted Yoho (R) in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Florida District 3 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Ted Yoho Incumbent||65%||148,691|
|Source: Florida Division of Elections|
|Florida House of Representatives, District 20 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Clovis Watson, Jr.||58.5%||6,450|
|Marihelen Wheeler (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 11, 2014||$0||$7,066||$(808)||$6,257|
|July Quarterly||July 12, 2014||$6,257||$23,281||$(21,975)||$7,563|
|Pre-Primary||August 14, 2014||$7,563||$13,318||$(10,482)||$10,399|
|October Quarterly||October 14, 2014||$10,399||$23,242||$(13,678)||$19,964|
Wheeler has three sons and has been married to Dr. Paul Wheeler, a local marriage and family therapist, for 25 years. Dr. Wheeler is the owner and director of the Gestalt Center in Gainesville.
Awards and associations
- 2013-present: Education coordinator, Florida Wildlife Care
- 2013-present: Member, Interfaith Alliance for Immigrant Justice
- 2012-present: Member, Delta Kappa Gamma, Gamma Xi Chapter
- 2005-present: Secretary, Santa Fe Lake Dwellers Board
- 1994-present: Member, Alachua County Education Association
- 1992-2012: Member and costume designer, Gainesville Community Playhouse Board
- 2011: Teacher of the Year, Westwood Middle School
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Marihelen + Wheeler + Florida + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States congressional delegations from Florida
- United States House of Representatives
- Florida's 3rd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Florida's 3rd Congressional District
- Florida Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed February 4, 2014
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed October 23, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed June 10, 2012
- The Huffington Post, "Election 2014," November 4, 2014
- Florida Secretary of State Elections Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 14, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Marihelen Wheeler 2014 Summary reports," accessed April 28, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed April 28, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Marihelen Wheeler July Quarterly," accessed September 30, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Marihelen Wheeler Pre-Primary," accessed September 30, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Marihelen Wheeler October Quarterly," accessed October 22, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |