|U.S. House, Texas, District 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Mayor, Heath, Texas|
Ratcliffe served eight years as Mayor of Heath, Texas. He also served as a U.S. Attorney from 2007 to 2008 and as Chief of Anti-Terrorism and National Security for the Eastern District of Texas from 2004 to 2007.
Ratcliffe's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Limited Government
- Excerpt: "John is a limited government conservative with a proven record of balancing budgets and not raising taxes."
- Cut Spending and Balance the Budget
- Excerpt: "Reckless government spending endangers our country’s financial stability while threatening the prosperity of future generations. With record deficits and $17 trillion of national debt, Congress still offers million dollar solutions to trillion dollar problems."
- Excerpt: "From the second President Obama forced through a 2,300 page law that no one read, Obamacare has proved to be government at its worst – intrusive, expensive and ineffective."
- Border Security and Immigration
- Excerpt: "As U.S. Attorney, John arrested over 300 illegal immigrants on a single day. As a former terrorism prosecutor, he knows the threats an unsecured border can bring to our national security."
- Second Amendment
- Excerpt: "The proud holder of a Texas Concealed Handgun License, John has spent much of his career defending the Constitution under the Second Amendment."
Ratcliffe is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Texas' 4th District. Ratcliffe and incumbent Ralph Hall advanced past the Republican primary on March 4, 2014. He defeated Hall in the Republican runoff primary on May 27, 2014. Ratcliffe is running unopposed in the general election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Texas District 4 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Ralph Hall Incumbent||45.4%||29,848|
|Source: Texas Secretary of State|
|U.S. House, Texas District 4 Runoff Republican Primary, 2014|
|Ralph Hall Incumbent||47.2%||19,899|
|Source: Texas Secretary of State Vote totals above are unofficial and will be updated once official totals are made available.|
Ratcliffe received the endorsement of State Rep. Jodie Laubenberg on March 11, 2014. She said, "I am very confident that John Ratcliffe is the person who will step up to defend liberty for this generation. I am proud to endorse John Ratcliffe for Congress."
The Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF) endorsed Ratcliffe on April 11, 2014. SCF Executive Director Matt Hoskins said, "John Ratcliffe is a principled, conservative leader who will fight to stop the massive spending and debt in Washington that are bankrupting our country. He's part of a new generation of conservative Republicans, and we're excited to support him."
|Ralph Hall vs. John Ratcliffe|
|Poll||Ralph Hall||John Ratcliffe||Not sure||Sample Size|
|Wenzel Strategies (March 12-13, 2014)||35%||47%||17%||436|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
|John Ratcliffe (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Year-End||January 13, 2014||$0||$471,427||$(39,713)||$431,713|
|Pre-Primary||February 20, 2014||$431,713||$70,273||$(300,213)||$201,773|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$201,773||$271,280||$(314,477)||$158,325|
|Pre-Runoff||May 16, 2014||$158,325||$142,955||$(111,594)||$189,686|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2014||$189,686||$186,789||$(356,774)||$23,325|
**As of the 2014 July Quarterly Report, Ratcliffe's committee owed $685,300 in outstanding loans to John Ratcliffe.
Ratcliffe and his wife, Michelle, have two daughters and live in Heath, Texas.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Ratcliffe + Texas + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Texas' 4th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Texas' 4th Congressional District
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County," accessed December 10, 2013
- Associated Press, "Election Results May 27, 2014," accessed May 27, 2014
- Campaign website, "John's Story," accessed January 16, 2014
- Campaign website, "On the Issues," accessed January 16, 2014
- The Texas Tribune, "Primary 2014 Election Results," March 4, 2014
- John Ratcliffe campaign website, "State Rep. Laubenberg Endorses Ratcliffe in Runoff," March 11, 2014
- Club for Growth, "John Ratcliffe (TX-04)," accessed March 26, 2014
- The Hill, "Senate Conservatives Fund backs Ralph Hall challenger," April 11, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "John Ratcliffe Year-End," accessed February 13, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "John Ratcliffe Pre-Primary," accessed May 2, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "John Ratcliffe April Quarterly," accessed May 2, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "John Ratcliffe Pre-Primary," accessed July 25, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "John Ratcliffe July Quarterly," accessed July 25, 2014
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |