Vermont Commissioner of Insurance
|Vermont Commissioner of Insurance|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2010 FY Budget:||$3,215,896|
|Length of term:||2 years|
|Authority:||Vermont State Code, Title 8, Chapter 1, Section 12|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||January 2013|
|Other Vermont Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Board|
The current commissioner of the Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities and Healthcare Administration is Susan Donegan. Donegan succeeded Steve Kimbell in January 2013. Kimbell chose to step down after Shumlin's second term inauguration, and the governor appointed Donegan, the deputy commissioner under Kimbell, to take over the role of commissioner at that time.
The commissioner's authority is established in Title 8, Chapter 1, Section 12 of the Vermont State Code.
8 V.S.A. § 12:
|The department shall be administered by a commissioner of banking, insurance, securities, and health care administration who shall be appointed by the governor biennially, in the month of February, with the advice and consent of the senate. Commissioner, as used in this title, shall mean the commissioner of banking, insurance, securities, and health care administration.|
There are no specific qualifications to hold this office.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Vermont Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Insurance Division is generally responsible for regulating the insurance industry in Vermont. To that end, the division:
- enforces solvency laws that require insurance companies to operate in a fiscally responsible manner
- enforces consumer protection laws that require companies to sell legal insurance products through licensed producers, treat consumers fairly, and pay claims in a timely manner
- reviews and approves all insurance policies sold in Vermont to ensure that they provide the protections required by state law
The specific duties of the commissioner are outlined in Title 8, Chapter 1, Section 8 of the Vermont State Code:
- Company Licensing
- Consumer Information
- Law, Regulations, Orders, Bulletins & Market Conduct
- Producer & Individual Licensing
- Publications & Reports
- Rates & Forms
- Workers' Compensation
The budget for the Division of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2010 was $3,215,896.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Vermont Commissioner of Insurance has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Vermont + Commissioner + Insurance
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities & Healthcare Administration
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
- Phone: (802) 828-3301
- Consumer services: (800) 964-1784
- Vermont Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities and Healthcare Administration - Insurance Division
- The Republic, "Post-election shakeup: Vermont governor announces 7 top staff changes," November 13, 2012
- Vermont Statutes Online, "Title 8, Chapter 1, Section 12," accessed November 28, 2011
- Bischa.state.VT.us, "Insurance Division home page," accessed November 28, 2011
- Vermont Statutes Online, "Title 8, Chapter 1, Section 8," accessed November 28, 2011
- Vermont Department of Finance and Management, "FY10 Appropriations Act (2009, Act 1 special session," accessed April 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014
- The Council of State Governments, "The Book of States 2010 Table 4.11," accessed April 23, 2011